Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.04 - Empathy, Evolution, Gwibber don't start automatically anymore

Beans

10.04 - Empathy, Evolution, Gwibber don't start automatically anymore

Just did a fresh install of 10.04, everything working great, and I was pretty excited about the integration with gwibber, evolution, and empathy. I was fiddling around, getting things the way I wanted them (startup programs and such), and upon a test restart, noticed that unlike the first couple of times I had restarted with 10.04, the Evolution icon no longer came up in the tray, and my "Me" menu was useless - didn't have me signed in to Gwibber or Empathy, didn't give the option to do so.

Yes, I can still run these programs no problem, and I could probably get it such that they ran at the start... but what I would like is for them to run minimized, in the tray, like they did the first time I booted up 10.04. Again, I trust this is a mere couple of lines in the command prompt, I just don't know what they are. Thanks in advance for any help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: 10.04 - Empathy, Evolution, Gwibber don't start automatically anymore

I got the exact same problem - I can start Gwibber manually, but it doesn't start up automatically in the "Me Menu". Opening the list of accounts gives the message 'not connected - status offline' (or something, my language-setting is in danish...), which changes only when I manually open Gwibber.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by _rex View Post
    Just did a fresh install of 10.04, everything working great, and I was pretty excited about the integration with gwibber, evolution, and empathy. I was fiddling around, getting things the way I wanted them (startup programs and such), and upon a test restart, noticed that unlike the first couple of times I had restarted with 10.04, the Evolution icon no longer came up in the tray, and my "Me" menu was useless - didn't have me signed in to Gwibber or Empathy, didn't give the option to do so.

Yes, I can still run these programs no problem, and I could probably get it such that they ran at the start... but what I would like is for them to run minimized, in the tray, like they did the first time I booted up 10.04. Again, I trust this is a mere couple of lines in the command prompt, I just don't know what they are. Thanks in advance for any help!
    System-Preferences-Startup Applications.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I'm aslo facing same problem. It asks something called keyring. How to automate that??

And one more thing about gwibber. Is it buggy?? It doesn't show any twitter updates at all.

Beans
    Distro

David, that doesn't solve our problem: as _rex wrote, you can manually start up the programs or make them start-up applications. But what we want is to make them run in the tray/ me menu, so they are integrated in the desktop environment as described so many places about 10.04

f

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had the same problem. I did end up adding a new entry in System >> Preferences >> Startup Applications. I named it Empathy (hidden start) and the command was empathy -h. This starts up Empathy in a hidden state (or I guess more accurately minimized to the tray/panel) and thus you don't see the program but can still use the Me menu. After a log off/on it worked exactly as I had hoped.

Beans

Question Re: 10.04 - Empathy, Evolution, Gwibber don't start automatically anymore

Same here, fresh install of Lucid Lynx and no sign-in-on-startup for Empathy or Gwibber.

The 'Me menu' just brings up the programs preferences.

Surely we should be getting signed in to these services as we log in to Ubuntu without having to add the individual apps under 'System > Preferences > Startup applications'?

Beans

Exact. Same. Problem.

I think there's a bug here somewhere. There's no "integration" if you have to add the apps to the startup list manually.

I'm sure someone more experienced than me (easy: I'm a total n00b) will be able to help us soon.
    That's great about Ubuntu: a REAL community.

Beans
    Distro

Could it be that I'm using a wireless connection - and it doesn't establish until a little while after login? If I have a wired LAN connection the Me Menu seems to login correctly.

Stephen

Beans

I'm also having this issue and came to the same conclusion with the wireless connection. I'm not sure if there is a workaround but I think this really is classed as a bug and may need an update to resolve it. I'd love to know how to get it working on a wireless connection though, regards,

Chris.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast