Thread: 10.04 problems

Beans

10.04 problems

Just upgraded to 10.04 and have two problems I can't solve/don't know what to do with as I am not a linux expert.

The first is that on startup I now get a message which reads "Panel encountered a problem while loading OAFIIDeskbar-Applet Do you want to delete the Applet from your configuration" I don't know the cause of this or what the consequences of deleting it would be.

Second - the little window icons that control whether you close a window or shrink it to the bottom bar etc have moved from the RHS to the LHS of the window. Is this a bug or a feature? I want them on the RHS as they used to be.

Beans

Re: 10.04 problems

Try reinstalling Ubuntu-desktop from synaptic.
    The icons are now on the left in Lucid there are a few threads telling you how to change them if you must.
    pentium4 geforce 9400 1gb ram

Beans

Thanks for the swift reply. I re-installed the desktop but I still get the same problem. The system seems to function ok even with this problem.. Would it be ok to select delete? I have no idea what this applet is (and I don't know how I typed in that smiley face either - it should be Deskbar of course).

As to moving the icons (aaarh) I see now that it was deliberate but unless you have a very good reason to move them (and it isn't just a style that one person liked) it really is a bad idea, although i'll leave it for a while.

Beans

Any help appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I am experiencing the same issue with my upgrade to Lucid and I had the same problem when upgrading to Karmic. I think I was able to fix it with the following, yet this does not work this time:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    sudo aptitude reinstall gnome-applets
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

You can do the first line in a terminal window, and the command stops the graphical user interface, so you have to switch to another terminal with ctrl-alt-F1, for example, to do the second and third lines.

I am still looking for a fix too...

Beans

What happens if I just delete the applet - the system works fine as far as I can tell if I just simply don't delete it. I don't know anything about Linux from a tech point of view.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I don't think this actually deletes the applet completely, I think by removing it it just simply removes the applet and its configuration from the panel. So it should be safe to do so.