Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bugfixing the eeepc for Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Bugfixing the eeepc for Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    On my primary two laptops I've been running LVM2 and using its snapshotting capability along with fsarchiver and an external hard drive to make compressed filesystem images. The beauty of this approach is that I can do so with a live system, without introducing corruption. On the flip side, it's quick and painless to restore the saved image, and I can even restore to a different filesystem than had been in place at the time of image creation. I've come to love this approach as it has, for the first time, given me the ability to keep robust sets of backup images without suffering significant downtime. You might look into that to open some more options beyond TrueImage, if that helps anything.
    That sounds interesting.

I tried clonezilla when my eeepc was nbew (almost two years ago now) and it didn't seem to like my SSDs at all.

Do you have a link to a tutorial written for newbies explaining your method? Also does using your method restore files like the fstab? I used to use remastersys a bit back until I realized it wasn't restoring the original fstab and I had to readd those and other settings again manually every time I restored which was a PITA. Plus I could never be sure what settings were restored and which ones weren't meaning I had to recheck them all--easier to just do a reinstall if I have to do that!

In Acronis after a restore everything is back the way I had it and I don't have to do anything except update, rescan my music collection in Banshee and redownload any podcasts. It helps that I store my music on an SD card formated as an ext3 allowing me to use symbolic links to its folder in my /home. Oh and the five minute restore times in Acronis aren't to be sneezed at. Not that I'm too happy with the longer time it takes to make the image, but you take what you can get and the benefits so far outweigh the costs.

--bornagainpenguin
    Have a Virgin Mobile USA smartphone?
    Check these guys out!

Beans

Here's another happy 10.04 user (netbook edition) with a 901.

I use ext2, so I didn't have to mess around with fstab.

I didn't set up a swap partition either, 2 gigs of ram will do everything...

Thank you for your thread!

I've found two new things to tune here: the grub options and the scaled themes. I'm already testing...

I can confirm that the newest eee-control (0.9.6.2) functions properly. The deamon loads properly. A minor bug still persists: bluetooth enabling.
    What I've changed: I disabled the brightness override in the conf.

What bugs me: notify-osd stopped working for brightness-changes. the bug report was closed with a stupid comment, saying that some laptop models don't send notification events for brightness changes.
    If this was the correct answer, why did it work before?

Beans

First, I would like to thank bornagainpenguin for all work he has done so far!

I have an eeepc 900, and still run the original Xandros, half broked, but with some tweaks and scripts, mostly to under-clock the CPU, even when plugged in, and set the screen both darker and brighter than the range offered by the bios.
    It takes forever to boot, because it first boots the "simplified" interface and then re-boots the "advanced" interface. Another problem is that updates stopped installing, and most of the packages are so outdated that it's a nightmare to compile things from source.
    Since I'm a happy Ubuntu user I found this page looking for eeebuntu vs. Ubuntu 10.4. (so far it looks like eeebuntu would isn't perfect either.)

I'll cross my fingers and hope that having a Celeron will avoid the CPU fan problems...
    If I find anything interesting I will mention it here.

Beans

Little update:

notify-OSD works again for brightness changes after re-installing indicator-messages. (needed that for my pim)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

Very, very sorry. Wireless fix didn't work for me.

I am disappointed, too, that my 901 no longer recognizes the Asus rescue thumbdrive as bootable -- I can't even go back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kmkwood View Post
    Very, very sorry. Wireless fix didn't work for me.

I am disappointed, too, that my 901 no longer recognizes the Asus rescue thumbdrive as bootable -- I can't even go back.
    If you've not already formatted over Lucid, try plugging the eeepc into a ethernet connection and firing up synaptic. From the repositories menu enable backports, then refresh the lists. Now search for backports and find the linux kernel with PAE and the wireless modules from backports that go with the PAE kernel--this will make it work.

--bornagainpenguin
    Check these guys out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

New guide posted.

Is it too early to head to bed now?

--bornagainpenguin
    Check these guys out!

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Bugfixing the eeepc for Lucid

ok so instead of starting a new thread i thought i would post it here so i could be added to the OP if it gets solved. ever since i switched to ubuntu on my eeepc 900 from windows xp (i think it was ubuntu 9.04) the webcam and mic havent been working. this wasnt much of a big deal because i didnt use it at all but i recently got into using skype on my phone to talk to people and i would love to be able to use it on my netbook but i cant because the webcam does not work. i check my BIOS and it says the camera is enabled and i installed eee control and it says my camera is on but it is still not working. so anyone else have this problem that knows how to fix it?

Beans

Hi, thanks for all this. I'm a brand-new linux newbie; I gave up on Windows a couple years ago (been using a Mac since then), and so when I decided to get a netbook (EeePC 901), I put Ubuntu Netbook Remix on it right away. However, it's taking a lot of getting used to. Guides like this really help!

I had a question about the wireless fix you recommend. At the moment, I have linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic installed; it allows me to connect to WPA/WPA2 protected networks, but fails to connect to a lot of other networks, at least from the experimenting I've done so far. By cafe-surfing, I've tried a couple wireless networks that require no password; the network manager recognizes them and makes a serious effort to connect, but then eventually fails. At least one other such network connected fine, though.

So: will it solve this problem if I uninstall the linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic package and install linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic-pae instead? Also, will installing that package have any 'side effects' on my system?

EDIT: I decided to give it a shot, and it looks like it did the trick, at least judging from my current wireless connection (which wasn't working with linux-backports-modules-lucid-generic). Thanks so much for posting these tips!!
    Last edited by clight9; September 19th, 2010 at 08:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello all,

I recently bought a eeePC 701SD on ebay, upgraded to 2GB of RAM and tried Maverick NBR. I didn't like it. Figuring it was better suited for an older netbook, I backed up to Lucid NBR and have been pretty happy with it. It does everything I intended it to, and a few things I didn't expect like playing video from a uPnP server over WiFi with XBMC!! Outside of the screen size being inconvenient at times, it performs well. The only real complaint I have is that most of the time, when using Fn+F2 to turn WiFi on/off it hangs the system. I have to do a hard reset which triggers a file system check (not too bad on an 8GB SDD, but it's the principle). I will add that I haven't made any of the improvements in this thread as I just ran across it (the thread) today and haven't had a need to tweak anything since I've installed.

Would any of the changes here fix my problem? If not, any suggestions?
    Last edited by dgray_from_dc; February 1st, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
    Mythbuntu 12.04 ASUS MoBo - Phenom II X4 3.2Ghz, 2G RAM, 32GB SSD, BD-RE, 4 x 2TB RAID 5
    - HDHomerun Prime HDHR3-CC
    - SMB Server
    - XBMC MySQL Database Sharing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast