Thread: Dual Monitor Woes--Dragging, Non-Mirrored Desktops, and More!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Angry Dual Monitor Woes--Dragging, Non-Mirrored Desktops, and More!

Just installed 10.4 fresh after a 1-year absence from Ubuntu, mostly driven by sound card and video card problems. In the year since, it seems that driver support for my cards has increased exponentially, but I am still having trouble figuring some stuff out.

I have an ATI Radeon 4870 and am running Ubuntu in 64-bit mode on an AMD Quad Core (Phenom II X4 Deneb) and installed the proprietary ATI drivers fairly well right away. The old dual monitor threads are all 2-3 years old at this point, so I was wary of mucking about with XORG.conf just yet. . . when I saw the ATI catalyst sitting in my System menu! Whoa! Now that's an improvement!

I've now got dual desktops--if I open an application on one, it only shows on the taskbar for that monitor, but both monitors have working taskbars and topbars and all that jazz. . . BUT I can't drag objects between them.

Now, if I enable Xinerama, I *can* drag things between monitors. . . but I lose my taskbars on the second monitor and my mouse gets very funny when I bring it to the edge of the screen. . . but the ATI Display Manager doesn't work there, so of course I can't really do anything to fix that.

Is there a way to run two monitors with working, but separate, taskbars, along with window-dragging, on Ubuntu 10.4? If it does take digging my hands into XORG.conf, I'll do it, and hopefully my memories of Terminal skills from last year will hold up to the task

Beans

Re: Dual Monitor Woes--Dragging, Non-Mirrored Desktops, and More!

Did you figure it out?