Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 10.04 broke my fglrx, how do I fix

Beans

Re: 10.04 broke my fglrx, how do I fix

If someone, ever read this old thread again. I just ran into the same problem and have been able to fix it using different method.

I used synaptic manager to completely uninistall every fglrx pacgakes I had.. but left fglrx-modaliases (dont ask me why).

Then I downloaded the latest version of my driver on ATI website. did ctrl-alt-F1 to log into command line and did

sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-10-8-x86.x86_64.run

Restarted computer and fglrxinfo now says

display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 (3.3.10151 Compatibility Profile Context)

Beans

I'm having the same problem as younio earlier in this thread with diversion mismatches and fglrx not fully installed/uninstalled.

I've tried the methods in the troubleshooting guide to no effect.

My system boots in low-graphics mode and is functional, but I want the ati drivers to set fan-speed of my hd4870 card.

Looking at Mr sharks steps, I'm interested in his steps 1 & 2.

Since i'm in low graphics mode will step 2 cause my system any futher problems, I don't want to make my problem worse.

Do I need to issue this commands in terminal mode, ie when I boot the pc i get the option to boot into low graphics mode, or a terminal, should I issue these commands in the terminal mode.

When I tried the commands in the troubleshooting guide, I was using a terminal, but in the low-graphics mode, ie with the gui desktop working, should I have tried those commands in terminal mode as well?

Mr shark mentions killing gdm, what does this mean?

I didn't find this thread until I had created my own here, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1579227.

Any help very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStark View Post
    @Younio:
    Yes, even deleting didn't change anything.
    The procedure i followed got a little messy... i'll try to reconstruct it here, hope it helps:

0- Started with the ati driver installed, crappy performance, no compiz.

1- Got out of the graphical mode, i my case switched to one of the alt+Fn console and killed gdm.

2-
    sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
    sudo rm -rf /usr/share/ati
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf*

Hope this helps...

Beans

I have the same problem, I think it's because of this kernel bug, which is supposed to be fixed(?) in future relleases: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer/+bug/642518

I'll be waiting.

Beans

Thanks Veko for the link, very informative.

My problem is UNINSTALLING the fglrx driver first, hence my questions in the post above, I want to uninstall fglrx without borking my system.

Beans

I've just found that I have no /usr/share/ari folder, so I have no need to remove that.

However my xorg.conf files still are full of ati and fglrx references, so I'll probably have to delete them.

Beans

I seemed to have solved my problem for removing fglrx.

This link http://caulfield.info/emmet/technology/linux/ubuntu/, provided by Soapstarjoe on the top of page 3 help me remove the diversions causing my problem.

Now synaptic says fgltx is not installed, and not broken.

I checked with hardware drivers and it says that ati drivers are NOT ACTIVATED.

I won't try to activate the drivers because of the issue raised by Veko in his post above.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Col-1023 View Post
    I won't try to activate the drivers because of the issue raised by Veko in his post above.
    It seems that this is now fixed in fglrx package. It's released for Lucid and available from the repos as "proposed update".

For me the fix works. I uninstalled fglrx, installed the proposed updates, run "aticonfig --initial" and rebooted - and fglrx works! For the rest of you, as always, proceed with caution.

Thanks to developers, one problem less.
    Last edited by veko; September 23rd, 2010 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Added note: fix released for Lucid

Beans

I'm wondering if fglrx is completely uninstalled.

david@liberator:~$ glxinfo |grep vendor
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    david@liberator:~$

Does The Fact the command reports opengl vendor string as adanved micro devices mean there is still a part of fglrx installed, or is this part of the open source drivers.

If it is a part of fglrx, how do I remove it?

TIA

Beans

I think my issue is related to the previous ones in this thread. 1st to begin with I have an ATI HD Radeon 5000 series and i'm running 10.04 AMD_64. After installing ubuntu I used Jockey (Ubuntu Control Center > Hardware Drivers) to update my graphics card. but I got an error message:

Code:
    package fglrx 2:8.721-0ubuntu8 failed to install/upgrade: fglrx kernel module failed to build
    Couple of days afterwards, an update was released, and the package is now fglrx 2:8.723.1-0ubuntu5. There was also an update for the kernel 2.6.32.25.27.

Following the instructions from http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=16 and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...thRadeonDriver I was able to update the driver and I think its working correctly.

Code:
    phynx@phynx-laptop:~$ fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series 
    OpenGL version string: 3.2.9756 Compatibility Profile Context
    AND

Code:
    phynx@phynx-laptop:~$ glxinfo |grep vendor
    server glx vendor string: ATI
    client glx vendor string: ATI
    AND

Code:
    phynx@phynx-laptop:~$ lspci -nn | grep Radeon
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Redwood [Radeon HD 5600 Series] [1002:68c1]
    01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5600 Series] [1002:aa60]
    AND

Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
    	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    	Load  "glx"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Driver      "fglrx"
    	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	DefaultDepth     24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     24
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Now here are my issues.
    1- The video is very laggy with compiz and videos. I used Google Earth to sometimes determine if the driver is not working very well. There are evidents cuts in the reendering of the images, when I use compiz show desktop, there is an evident lag, and the effects are visibly not working as they supposed to be. Unfortunately this issue is very hard to document, and not sure how to.

2- I decided to update to a newer driver using the X UPDATES PPA that has fglrx-installer 2:8.780-0ubuntu1. The problem with that update is that, after reboot, I only have a black screen. When I go to recovery, it acts like fglrx and amdccle are not there.

Code:
    $ aticonfig --initial
    Found fglrx primary device section
     Unable to find any supported Screen sections
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/642518 supposed to have fixed my issue, but i tried different ways, using everything i could gather in this thread but no luck. Can someone orient me on how to at least troubleshoot this issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I too had trouble after initial upgrade to lucid. What I discovered was that lucid does a lot better job of finding and installing the proprietary drivers by itself than Jaunty. Conversely the manual installation of drivers from the ATI site is getting harder and harder to the extent that in Lucid it is now painful and difficult bordering on broken.

My advice is that anyone upgrading from Jaunty to Lucid who has been used to installing drivers manually from the ATI site should stop doing it this way and should use the Hardware Drivers tool to install proprietary drivers instead. That is the method that seems to give best results for most people in Lucid.
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345