Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Indicator-applet experience

Beans

Re: Bad Indicator-applet experience

Quote Originally Posted by jpmaglutac View Post
    Really, I thought we were supposed to have more freedom in the applications we choose
    that 100% expresses how I feel. this indicator applet nonsense is shameful and forced me to move to Kubuntu. if kubuntu doesn't cut the mustard (and things arent looking bright) ill just move back to windows

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkliez View Post
    that 100% expresses how I feel. this indicator applet nonsense is shameful and forced me to move to Kubuntu. if kubuntu doesn't cut the mustard (and things arent looking bright) ill just move back to windows
    If i don't get a solution to this problem, I'll also move to Kubuntu. That really made me hate Ubuntu now -.-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How do you add back the network applet. The one that allows you to modify your DNS and all?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

OKAY COOL!

I uninstalled empathy, and while using pidgin, when I change the status using that status picker whatever, IT STILL DISCONNECTS PIDGIN!

It's like Ubuntu is telling me I must use Empathy for some reason

Beans

Hmmm. I don't need the me-menu/social stuff and I'd prefer to avoid all the notification stuff but I don't like kubuntu. Does anyone know if xubuntu still stays with the older system?

Beans

I'd like to add something for the gnome applet to scale cpu frequency and lcd brightness (I'm on a netbook and care about power management) but can't seem to figure out how to do this.

Narrowly defined I agree with the previously expressed sentiments. I actually think that 10.04 is a great release and I like most of what has been done with it. I would however be interested in knowing how to configure the indicator-applet. I appreciate the move toward consistency that Ubuntu is trying to implement, but the indicator applet seems (to my knowledge--maybe I'm missing something) be notably less configurable than the traditional gnome panel. Perhaps that is a temporary development constraint that will be fixed. I hope that the lack of configurability is not a deliberate choice toward making Ubuntu less configurable (and more suited to those who don't like to tinker) in favor of providing a smoother out-of-the-box experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sobolosrios View Post
    I'd like to add something for the gnome applet to scale cpu frequency and lcd brightness (I'm on a netbook and care about power management) but can't seem to figure out how to do this.

Narrowly defined I agree with the previously expressed sentiments. I actually think that 10.04 is a great release and I like most of what has been done with it. I would however be interested in knowing how to configure the indicator-applet. I appreciate the move toward consistency that Ubuntu is trying to implement, but the indicator applet seems (to my knowledge--maybe I'm missing something) be notably less configurable than the traditional gnome panel. Perhaps that is a temporary development constraint that will be fixed. I hope that the lack of configurability is not a deliberate choice toward making Ubuntu less configurable (and more suited to those who don't like to tinker) in favor of providing a smoother out-of-the-box experience.
    There is a cpu control applet in add to panel, screen brightness is hold down Fn and use the arrow/triangle symbol keys that are on the bottom right of the keyboard generally. And for the rest of you in the whiners club, get over it and buy MS or Apple. Free software that doesn't do exactly what you want, now where is that tiny little violin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    There is a cpu control applet in add to panel, screen brightness is hold down Fn and use the arrow/triangle symbol keys that are on the bottom right of the keyboard generally. And for the rest of you in the whiners club, get over it and buy MS or Apple. Free software that doesn't do exactly what you want, now where is that tiny little violin.
    I figured it out. I just forgot how to get to it.
    Last edited by poliltimmy; April 30th, 2010 at 09:54 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    Your response was not very useful. Perhaps it is because I have not stated my position clearly enough. Here is my second try:

By "add to panel" what do you mean? Typically one would add something to the panel by right clicking on the panel. As far as I can tell, on netbook remix there is no way to right click on the panel since it is entirely covered by either Window Picker or the indicator-applet. Also, the LCD brightness keyboard shortcuts are not working and I am trying to debug the cause of this problem. As such, it would be convenient to have easier access to the LCD brightness applet.

I am not asking for the software to do exactly what I want right out of the box, as a careful reader would have deduced. I use linux because I want the ability to tinker and don't mind searching through files and editing things to get what I am looking for. The point of my comment was that indicator-applet has (to my knowledge--again if you have _useful_ information please share it) no clear way to configure or alter, short of recompiling. Is this incorrect? Having to recompile software every time you need to make a config change is possible but is less desirable than having access to options through config files. Again, perhaps all of this ability exists but hasn't been either documented or developed enough to use. I am fine with that, but would like to know what is intended for further development. If it is not very configurable and not likely to become so, then yes, I will consider whether this warrants changing my desktop environment and/or distribution, as you so snarkily suggested.

Beans

Oh, and another thing that sucks: There's no tooltip when you hover over the power or sound icons.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast