Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Indicator-applet experience

Beans

Bad Indicator-applet experience

Here's my thought process as I configured my new 10.04 install.

Gee, that message icon is spaced awkwardly. Why is it so far from the volume control?
    I'll just move it closer *right-clicks* oh.. can't do that
    Fine, I'll delete it then *right-click - remove from panel*
    poof, message and volume icons disappear

Sorry if I can't express this in a more eloquent or useful way at the moment, but the fact that these two completely unrelated functions are tied into the same tray applet strikes me as so utterly STUPID, that I had to come here and complain.

WHY? Who makes these design decisions? (don't answer that, I already saw the post about UI consistency in the panel, but I disagree vehemently.)
    It was fine the way it was.

So, after waaaay too much reading, I learned that you can remove the message part of the applet by uninstalling a package. That's right, you have to apt-get remove indicator-messages if you want to get rid of it. I don't know about you, but back in my day panels were configurable. If you didn't like something, you right clicked on it, and hit "remove from panel", or failing that, went into some menu and unchecked the "display annoying icon" box. You don't uninstall a freaking package! This is such a hack it's not funny, and I expect better from a distro like Ubuntu.

Next, I tried learning to live with the new applet. Like its predecessor, you can scroll the mouse wheel over it to raise and lower the volume. Great. I like this feature, and use it often. Unlike its predecessor, when you click on the icon to see the volume bar, the scrolling stops working. So, you can scroll to change the volume, but you can't see what you're changing while you change it. Ridiculous.

Try it yourself if you want - run gnome-volume-control-applet to start up the old one.

At this point, I've had it with the entire indicator-applet system. I want it gone now. I was just about to remove it from the panel when my power cord came unplugged and .. guess what else is part of indicator-applet...

All I ask is that it's possible to configure it the way it was in the last release without too much of a hassle. This was frustrating and not at all intuitive.

Beans

Re: Bad Indicator-applet experience

I'm glade you posted. I have been using Ubuntu since the 5 series and am shocked and dismayed by the quality of 10.04. My notifications applets (basically everything in the upper right-hand corner) disappears or doesn't work and I can't get stuff back. The network applet is gone, the on-off switch disappeared, everything else seems to jump around or have duplicate images...I am just floored by how this is working.

In addition to that sometimes when I hit "switch user" it goes to a black screen and crashes. I need to turn in off by holding the power button. This release is unusable. My wife, who has used ubuntu for years (at my urging) is looking at me like I'm an idiot. She says "can't we just have a computer that works..." The stability and quality get worse on every release. I had to bypass 9.10 because it would not install/work on my dell desktop or my netbook!!!! This is ALPHA software not an LTS release!

Beans

I'm pretty much fed up with the applet as well. I installed Netbook remix this evening and have spent several hours trying unsuccessfully to remove the envelope and chat bubble icons from the indicator while retaining the other options.

To add insult to injury, if I remove the indicator panel then every time I start up I get errors because the indicator panel doesn't properly remove itself from the GNOME Panel configuration.

DeMus is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie-o View Post
    I'm glade you posted. I have been using Ubuntu since the 5 series and am shocked and dismayed by the quality of 10.04. My notifications applets (basically everything in the upper right-hand corner) disappears or doesn't work and I can't get stuff back. The network applet is gone, the on-off switch disappeared, everything else seems to jump around or have duplicate images...I am just floored by how this is working.

In addition to that sometimes when I hit "switch user" it goes to a black screen and crashes. I need to turn in off by holding the power button. This release is unusable. My wife, who has used ubuntu for years (at my urging) is looking at me like I'm an idiot. She says "can't we just have a computer that works..." The stability and quality get worse on every release. I had to bypass 9.10 because it would not install/work on my dell desktop or my netbook!!!! This is ALPHA software not an LTS release!
    So I am not the only one who complains that every Ubuntu release is worse than the one before. I used Hardy for a year and it was great, skipped Intrepid because it was unusable, did have Jaunty which was great, Karmic had to many complications and now I installed Lucid but fighting with it.
    I don't have a loudspeaker icon at all. What I miss completely is the soundmixer I had in Jaunty: I need it. Can somebody tell me where to find it here in Lucid?
    I wrote other threads here in the past about the alpha and beta releases of Lucid but it seems I have to do the same about the final release. It's simply not good.
    Things which work are taken out (Gimp), other stuff gets in which I don't need/want (social networking programs, buttons on the wrong side of the screen). No Ubuntu is going down hill and that is a shame.
    It's time fore something else. Any ideas?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DeMus View Post
    I don't have a loudspeaker icon at all. What I miss completely is the soundmixer I had in Jaunty: I need it. Can somebody tell me where to find it here in Lucid?
    I wrote other threads here in the past about the alpha and beta releases of Lucid but it seems I have to do the same about the final release. It's simply not good.
    Things which work are taken out (Gimp), other stuff gets in which I don't need/want (social networking programs, buttons on the wrong side of the screen). No Ubuntu is going down hill and that is a shame.
    It's time fore something else. Any ideas?
    If you run "gnome-volume-control-applet", it should give you the old icon back, but I can't figure out how to permanently add it to the panel so that it appears on bootup.

I agree on the other points. I used to like Ubuntu because it was easy to "de-configure" anything I didn't like. This release needs a lot of work.

Beans

Same here,

I think I got a workaround. After trying to configure unsuccessfully the indicator applet through config files and/or gconf editor, read somethign in a post about this package.
    To remove the envelope uninstall in synaptic package manager the package called "indicator-me" and restart the computer/session. There are also other packages called indicator-something which are meant to add/remove funcionallity to the indicator applet.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by korrosiv View Post
    Same here,

I think I got a workaround. After trying to configure unsuccessfully the indicator applet through config files and/or gconf editor, read somethign in a post about this package.
    To remove the envelope uninstall in synaptic package manager the package called "indicator-me" and restart the computer/session. There are also other packages called indicator-something which are meant to add/remove funcionallity to the indicator applet.

Hope this helps.
    The "indicator-me" package relates to the social networking applet - (gwibber,etc) and not the
    envelope

If you right click on the
    envelope
    and click on 'about' you will see it is the Indicator Applet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robert shearer View Post
    The "indicator-me" package relates to the social networking applet - (gwibber,etc) and not the .

If you right click on the and click on 'about' you will see it is the Indicator Applet.
    Well, my fault then. Uninstall instead "indicator-messages" and the envelope should be gone next boot.
    Sorry (I just uninstalled both).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I you open startup manager and put gnome-volume-control-applet in the command the volume control will be there on startup. I also think some of you don't realize that the offending volume and email icon are in the notification area, your battery shows there as well without the volume and email icons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Totally agree with your sentiments. Sure, this release seems to be "social from start", but what about those who are not social? As I was using 10.04 a while ago, it seemed as if Ubuntu was FORCING me to use Empathy.

After installing pidgin, I tried using the quick status changer, and to my surprise it worked! But when I changed my status to "Available", instead of changing it on pidgin, it disconnected pidgin and connected it to empathy...

Really, I thought we were supposed to have more freedom in the applications we choose

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast