Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bad Indicator-applet experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Bad Indicator-applet experience

Hey lunatico, I'v probably got the answer, but no time in the next few days to draft a guide specific to you, so check out my guide on how to get Ctrl+ALt+Del to stick for opening the System Monitor:

http://ubuntugenius.wordpress.com/20...ystem-monitor/

It shows you what to if using the GUI of Config Editor, but you can alter these commands and use the terminal instead:

gconftool-2 -t str --set /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_9 ‘<Ctrl><Alt>Delete’

gconftool-2 -t str --set /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_9 ‘gnome-system-monitor’

I guess you would want something like:

gconftool-2 -t str --set /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_9 ‘<Super>m

gconftool-2 -t str --set /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_9 ‘nautilus ~/Music

The guide explains the command number; I just picked "command_9" because it is likely to be unused (I use command_1 but it may be taken on other systems).

Actually, I suppose this was specific enough, but read the guide for the rest on how to ensure this works. Cheers.
    Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey OzzyFrank!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I had actually tried what you suggested, in gconf-editor I had:
    /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_5 = <super>m
    /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_5 = rhythmbox

And as I said it sort of works for a while but then the indicator-sound applet steals the shortcut.

Anyway, your guide gave me an idea that might be a solution. Why was I wasting on of the limited run_command_x if I could use the already available Keyboard Shortcut to map it to Super+M. So I opened System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts and assigned Super+M to 'Launch Media Player' which opens Rhythmbox anyway.
    I confirmed this by looking at /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/keybindings/media in gconf-editor.

Hopefully this will work and indicator-sound wont steal my shortcut anymore.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tamashumi View Post
    I found it here: https://launchpad.net/indicator-applet
    Big green button on the right to download source.

However I even can't compile it

I'm pretty skillful with JAVA and some other languages but with C not really.

Anyone willing help how to start? I tried creating project with Netbeans (existing C/C++ sources). Well, it creates but doesn't compile (some build config issues).
    I found if I downloaded ALL the development tools I could recompile the program. I finally gave up because Linux development appears to be pretty scattered, unlike for the Mac (where I am more familiar). So if you want to develop, select ALL developer tools, download them, then try to compile this code. I could then remap the <super>M and <super>S keys to something I don't use.

Sad that this app grabs the keys in a way that the user can't change them without recompiling the code and recompiling the code is very very very hard.

<rant>As a Unix user for over 30 years, Linux seems too fragmented to ever make it to the big leagues.</rant>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Arrow Re: Bad Indicator-applet experience

Guys, after removing indicator applet and reboot all necessary icons (for me: rhytmbox, volume control, update indicator, pidgin, wifi, bluetooth) just got back to the notification applet

I don't think did anything special. I mean I was trying to add volume icon before reboot (posted in previous post) but probably even this one isn't necessary (as I didn't added this to run-at-start programs).

Check this out:

Ubuntu 10.04 with correct looking notification area. Functionality still lacks a bit though (like middle mouse button mute etc...)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tamashumi View Post
    Guys, after removing indicator applet and reboot all necessary icons (for me: rhytmbox, volume control, update indicator, pidgin, wifi, bluetooth) just got back to the notification applet
    Hey Tamashumi,

Do you mean you simply removed the indicator applet as in "uninstalled" the indicator applet?
    Because i simply removed the indicator applet and rebooted and the notification applet is still messy (doesn't display transparency properly) whilst it seems to be fine on your screenshot.
    Also the volume-control applet is not available by default on 10.4, do you mean you didn't do any install nor created a custom launcher applet to get your volume control to show on the panel?

Thanks for clearing up!
    B.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jesuisbenjamin View Post
    Hey Tamashumi,
    Because i simply removed the indicator applet and rebooted and the notification applet is still messy (doesn't display transparency properly) whilst it seems to be fine on your screenshot.
    He doesn't seem to have any of the icons affected by the transparency bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is it icon-specific then?
    I was wondering about this the other day ans suspected the issue could be due to the use of either png or svg icons. I just don't know how to trace which program uses which icon and whether it is the notification applet or the main application which imposes the icon.

B.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jesuisbenjamin View Post
    Is it icon-specific then?
    I think so anyway... afaik it's gnome-panel no been able to handle the icons transparency. Not all icons are affected, for me for example it's for the mail-notification icon...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EtherBunny View Post
    Here's my thought process as I configured my new 10.04 install.

Gee, that message icon is spaced awkwardly. Why is it so far from the volume control?
    I'll just move it closer *right-clicks* oh.. can't do that
    Fine, I'll delete it then *right-click - remove from panel*
    poof, message and volume icons disappear

Sorry if I can't express this in a more eloquent or useful way at the moment, but the fact that these two completely unrelated functions are tied into the same tray applet strikes me as so utterly STUPID, that I had to come here and complain.

WHY? Who makes these design decisions? (don't answer that, I already saw the post about UI consistency in the panel, but I disagree vehemently.)
    It was fine the way it was.

So, after waaaay too much reading, I learned that you can remove the message part of the applet by uninstalling a package. That's right, you have to apt-get remove indicator-messages if you want to get rid of it. I don't know about you, but back in my day panels were configurable. If you didn't like something, you right clicked on it, and hit "remove from panel", or failing that, went into some menu and unchecked the "display annoying icon" box. You don't uninstall a freaking package! This is such a hack it's not funny, and I expect better from a distro like Ubuntu.

Next, I tried learning to live with the new applet. Like its predecessor, you can scroll the mouse wheel over it to raise and lower the volume. Great. I like this feature, and use it often. Unlike its predecessor, when you click on the icon to see the volume bar, the scrolling stops working. So, you can scroll to change the volume, but you can't see what you're changing while you change it. Ridiculous.

Try it yourself if you want - run gnome-volume-control-applet to start up the old one.

At this point, I've had it with the entire indicator-applet system. I want it gone now. I was just about to remove it from the panel when my power cord came unplugged and .. guess what else is part of indicator-applet...

All I ask is that it's possible to configure it the way it was in the last release without too much of a hassle. This was frustrating and not at all intuitive.
    I LOVE U! i just removed the applet completely from my panel in maverick, the old battery applet showed up and i used the gnome-volume-control-applet for sound control.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I hate the way the panel is handled in recent releases (12.04 currently).

Before, the panel was an icon handling gizmo, where you could add and remove applications' icon in a slick menu, and remove and add panels all over your desktop if you so desired. Now I had to browse forums to discover the name of the app that magically appeared when I installed Ubuntu to get rid of it(I don't care about MSN, pidgin, icq, the whole lot).
    The same applies to adding an icon to the list (I just like to know if my dropbox is up to date, connected, etc). I had a hard time getting it to show up there, and had to search for and edit a config file.

As we are all different, we all want to see different icons up there. Why has this option, which was nice and adjustable before, been fixed in stone? For a human-oriented operating system, this is a step back. I seriously don't care if I have to dig through forums and config files for stuff that isn't finished yet, not correctly supported, or can still be improved, but leaving perfectly polished and user-friendly stuff behind and getting people back into their terminal is certainly not the way.

Reading this thread I understand I'm not the only one with discomfort around the 'panel' zone, and that gives me some comfort at least.
    I hope this post counts as a vote for adjustability in next distros.
    Last edited by Mycen; September 8th, 2012 at 03:02 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456