Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might Make a Support Forum..

Beans

Might Make a Support Forum..

Hello all,

I am only a couple weeks into using my first linux distro and im really liking it. I can finally have something stable and decent on my PC instead of having to be on my Mac all the time. So, I was thinking of making an international Ubuntu support forum. Before hand, since im still new to linux in general I would have to do alot of research and learn thouroly how to use linux. However I am a very skilled web developer and webmaster so I am pretty sure that if I did create the site that it would be very nicely done and people would want to go there and participate. So, what does everyone else think of this idea. You think it would get supported and become sucessful, or is the volume of support sites out there already too large, making it a difficult task to create a good support site/community.

Thanks!
    -maddog39

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Might Make a Support Forum..

i dont see the need to reinvent the wheel

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by maddog39
    So, I was thinking of making an international Ubuntu support forum.
    I appreciate your enthusiasm, but this is an international Ubuntu support forum. It's in English--true--but it's still international. A multi-lingual support forum just leaves people confused.

Maybe you can send a private message (PM) to Ubuntu-Geek or Kassetra and ask how you can help out.

Beans

Well no not necissarily, if you look on the community page and you look at some of the links, most of the other languages go to different sites. Although I see what your saying. However, I forget where but on the Ubuntu website it says that all and any support sites are appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well no not necissarily, if you look on the community page and you look at some of the links, most of the other languages go to different sites.
    I don't see how that's contrary to what I said. International to me means that it's not targeted at a specific country. There are users on these English-speaking forums from India, England, Germany, Canada, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, and other countries. The forum is international--just English-speaking. There are other Ubuntu forums sites for other languages. Multi-lingual does not mean international and vice versa.

Being English-speaking, the forum does tend to be heavily dominated by Europeans and North Americans, but that doesn't mean it isn't international.
    Last edited by aysiu; March 18th, 2006 at 11:43 PM.

Beans

The documentation site sector needs more work then the support forum sector IMO. Take a look at the official wiki and the Ubuntu Document Storage Facility. I'm sure both of those always have something that needs to be added if you ask the guys there how you best can help.

Beans

Okay, I see. Im still not sure whether it would be a good idea or not. A linux community/fan site would be cool too.

Beans
    Hidden!

Okay, I see. Im still not sure whether it would be a good idea or not. A linux community/fan site would be cool too.
    yeah but what will you offer that gives a user reason to check out your site as opposed to this one?

Beans

What will he offer? Local customization/help? A place for fellow countrymen to talk and gather?

There are some country-specific Ubuntu sites out there, Brazil and Philippines to name a few. The thing is, they're not really support sites but more of a "fansite" (although I wouldn't use that term).

Beans

Well it wont be Ubuntu specific. It would be general Linux things, and I could find some innovative ideas. I would also call in some of my friends who use linux to come help me in the development.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast