Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.04 Reboots on GRUB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

10.04 Reboots on GRUB

Hello. I am having a problem with my just-upgraded 10.04 system, namely that it won't boot! My system is kind of set up oddly. My system is not a true dual-boot in that it was installed using Wubi since I have a computer-illiterate that needs to use Windows, and I am not skilled enough to create a true dual-boot. I (silly me) upgraded to 10.04, knowing that I would probably have these problems. My computer boots to the Windows OS selection, where I select Ubuntu, and then GRUB comes up. What happens now when I select Ubuntu, is I get a normal "HD(0,0) NTFS5" or something similar, and then the screen flashes white very briefly, and a small pop comes from the speakers, and the computer reboots to BIOS.

When I was upgrading, the upgrade halted on memtest86+ with the line "image found: /boot/vmlinuz-2...", and I read somewhere else that they just Ctrl-C'd that process and it worked out, so I did that. The next thing is that a GRUB-pc configuration screen popped up. It asked me to select a drive, so I selected my HDD and it worked fine. I rebooted, and then this happened! I am now working from a live CD.

I am using a HP Pavilion dv6-1234nr laptop. (It's 64-bit.) I don't know my other information, but if someone knows how to tell me how to get it, I will gladly help you! Thank you very, very much!
    Last edited by Rawrmage; April 30th, 2010 at 01:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 10.04 Reboots on GRUB

Here is the output of the lspci command:
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) Thermal Subsystem (rev 03)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Rawrmage View Post
    Hello. I am having a problem with my just-upgraded 10.04 system, namely that it won't boot! My system is kind of set up oddly. My system is not a true dual-boot in that it was installed using Wubi since I have a computer-illiterate that needs to use Windows, and I am not skilled enough to create a true dual-boot. I (silly me) upgraded to 10.04, knowing that I would probably have these problems. My computer boots to the Windows OS selection, where I select Ubuntu, and then GRUB comes up. What happens now when I select Ubuntu, is I get a normal "HD(0,0) NTFS5" or something similar, and then the screen flashes white very briefly, and a small pop comes from the speakers, and the computer reboots to BIOS.

When I was upgrading, the upgrade halted on memtest86+ with the line "image found: /boot/vmlinuz-2...", and I read somewhere else that they just Ctrl-C'd that process and it worked out, so I did that. The next thing is that a GRUB-pc configuration screen popped up. It asked me to select a drive, so I selected my HDD and it worked fine. I rebooted, and then this happened! I am now working from a live CD.

I am using a HP Pavilion dv6-1234nr laptop. (It's 64-bit.) I don't know my other information, but if someone knows how to tell me how to get it, I will gladly help you! Thank you very, very much!
    Whenever that happens, you want to check the settings of the GRUB menu. Post those up and I will see if I can help you
    Feel free to contact me at cuberts@gmail.com if you have any questions. Also, Irssi is RAD!~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That's the thing though - I can't get to GRUB. When it starts to load, the screen flashes white, and the speakers pop a little, and it reboots. Is it maybe that I don't have GRUB installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The same is happening to me. After upgrading to Lucid, I select Ubuntu on the Windows Boot Manager and, after detecting the hard-drive partitions (it shows something with NTFS, but I can't read to say precisely; it's very fast), it reboots.

I have already tried to hold Shift and F6, following instructions on other posts (such as http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1449955&page=2), but it doesn't show the grub screen.

Beans

Did you check this?
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...lems:Wubi_9.10
    That seems to be the solution you are looking for.
    Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I hadn't checked that.

The description of the problem doesn't match. I had the problem described there too, but it is not the same. Even though, I tried to replace that file, but it didn't work.

Our problem is different: it doesn't show anything related to grub, except the file system detection messages (something like "trying FAT32" or NTFS; I can't read, it's too fast). Quickly after that, the system reboots immediatly, without any grub prompt or menu.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Beans

Hi people.

I think the same issue is happening with my computer. Yesterday a bunch of updates came up on my 10.04, of course I upgraded but via apt-get. During the upgrade the terminal came blue and told me something of a grub configuration that was earlier modified and asked me if I wanted to modify again, the trouble here is that the only option was "accept"; there was no "cancel" option. Everything resulted ok and I kept working.
    Today I started my computer and as usual the windows "grub" (I dont remember the exact name for it) let me choose between Windows or Ubuntu; as always I chose Ubuntu but the bug happened, it reboots. I cant get into the grub that let choose the linux kernel. So, HHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP P!!
    My ubuntu is under wubi. If the trouble is hard to solve please tell me a way to recover my docs.
    Thanx in advance.

Beans

Hi there again.

Perhaps Im on my lucky day. Replace the wubildr file on C: under windows and everything solved.

Anyway, I would like to solve the wubi docs recover issue.

Thanx in advance again, have good ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This is quite a strange problem.

I had already gave up solving that, so I installed Fedora (outside Windows, in a separate partition). But, for my surprise, after installing it, I tried to enter the Ubuntu inside Windows and it worked!

If you want to recover your data, you can mount your Windows partition and then

Code:
    mount -o loop /mnt/windows/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /mnt/ubuntu
    supposing you mounted the Windows partition inside /mnt/windows. This root.disk is the root of the Ubuntu you installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast