Thread: Upgrading to ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Upgrading to ubuntu 10.04

Hi everybody,

I tried to upgrade to ubuntu 10.04 today (on my ibook g4) and I got this error:" W:Failed to fetch http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports.../lucid/Release Unable to find expected entry partner/binary-powerpc/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?) , E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead." How can I fix this? FYI its the PowerPC version of ubutu

Beans

Re: Upgrading to ubuntu 10.04

what I did was edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file.

I had to comment out the line that had the word "partner" in it. However, during the update, the sources list would get replaced for lucid compatability and would lose the comment. So the trick is to replace all of the words "karmic" with "lucid" and then to comment out the necessary line. If you decide to cancel your update, you need to revert the file to get karmic updates.

However, I had a major problem during the upgrade ("update-manager -d"). My mouse and keyboard became unresponsive so I had to hold down the power button when the clean-up phase popped-up a dialogue I couldn't answer. One of my friends said that he just does "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" or something. If the keyboard would be an issue, I would suggest using the "-y" option. (Also try turning off sleep mode for the computer and screen.) But the drawback of this is that I don't know if the package manager will try to replace itself during the update and thus botch things up that way... so does anyone else know how to do this right without an install cd?

EDIT: Don't forget to uncomment the "partner" line after you update your installation if you still want software from that source.
    Last edited by zeroti; May 1st, 2010 at 07:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zeroti View Post

I had to comment out the line that had the word "partner" in it. However, during the update, the sources list would get replaced for lucid compatability and would lose the comment. So the trick is to replace all of the words "karmic" with "lucid" and then to comment out the necessary line. If you decide to cancel your update, you need to revert the file to get karmic updates.

However, I had a major problem during the upgrade ("update-manager -d"). My mouse and keyboard became unresponsive so I had to hold down the power button when the clean-up phase popped-up a dialogue I couldn't answer. One of my friends said that he just does "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" or something. If the keyboard would be an issue, I would suggest using the "-y" option. (Also try turning off sleep mode for the computer and screen.) But the drawback of this is that I don't know if the package manager will try to replace itself during the update and thus botch things up that way... so does anyone else know how to do this right without an install cd?
    Changing the /etc/apt/sources.list file worked. I am downloading the update now and i'm gonna see if it installs. THANK YOU!

B_Free is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

The finished version for PPC is not ready yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by zeroti View Post
    I can confirm that this worked. It's entirely possible that B_Free's remark is spot-on. I haven't used much of the system. Firefox works.

I wonder where I could get the "official" sources.list from...