Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone upgrade to 10.04 yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Anyone upgrade to 10.04 yet?

Try removing the side cover and blowing the fan, and everything else, out with canned air. If that doesn't fix it, contact me via email and we'll start working on getting you a new fan.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Try removing the side cover and blowing the fan, and everything else, out with canned air. If that doesn't fix it, contact me via email and we'll start working on getting you a new fan.
    Sounds good. I'd really hate to send it back and through all that rigamaroll. If that doesn't fix it, should I try unplugging the fan and see if the sound goes away? I have a static band and the most I've ever done on a PC is install a graphics card and memory so I imagine I'd be able to swap out a fan if need be. Anyway, I REALLY hope this gets resolved, because now that I have my Meerkat Ion, I don't want to let go of it.

Thanks again Thomas for your quick response!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If that doesn't fix it, should I try unplugging the fan and see if the sound goes away?
    Sure. Sounds good. In fact, the ION can run fine without the fan under average usage in a non-sweltering environment.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by juelze View Post
    So after several hard restarts (which are always gentle on PCs) it's the F11 key. Much to my dismay, the frakkin' CD, once I click on "Install Ubuntu" just restarts and brings me back to 9.10. Serenity now!
    Instead of the power button, restart using this:

Hold the "Alt" key and the "Sys Req" key and sequentially type "RSEIUB" (no quotes) as you hold them down.

Tom told me about that one, the mnemonic is (your choice) "Restart System Even If Utterly Broken", or as Tom prefers "Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by juelze View Post
    . . . it is suggested to wait a week or two after a major release so the server loads for the Ubuntu release return to a normal level so it doesn't take eons to do the upgrade . . .
    Perhaps this is the reason why the following tweet from System76 appeared yesterday on Twitter:

76ers! remember to download #Ubuntu 10.04 via bit-torrent. It's MUCH faster - http://bit.ly/KmYqs

I'm assuming that the issue of clogged servers and mirrors and so on is the reason to do the upgrade from Karmic to Lucid via BitTorrent, but I have a few questions about this:

(1) Does anyone recommend a BitTorrent client they prefer over others? (I have "Transmission BitTorrent Client" installed but have never used it.)

(3) if I upgrade this way, would this mean that I should NOT then click the "Upgrade" button that has appeared at the top of my Update Manager (and that I would basically have nothing to do with upgrading that way)?

Also, I see, at <http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#bt>, in the list of links to download the Ubuntu cd image, that there are links for server and desktop, but what is "alternate"? Is that for laptops?

Thanks.
    Spirit of 76: 64-bit Wild Dog Performance desktop model wilp6 from System76. Quad core Q9650 3GHz, 8 GB ram, 1 GB nVidia GeForce GTS 250, 1 TB SATA II. I use Vim, not gedit, and Zsh, not bash.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I did a fresh install on my non-ion Meerkat last night. So far so good, though I am still having minor issues with video playback in Firefox and Chrome. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I probably just need to install something I have just forgotten.
    Collin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by watchpocket View Post
    Does anyone recommend a BitTorrent client they prefer over others? (I have "Transmission BitTorrent Client" installed but have never used it.)
    I'm rather partial to Deluge, but there's nothing wrong with Transmission for simplicity.

if I upgrade this way, would this mean that I should NOT then click the "Upgrade" button that has appeared at the top of my Update Manager (and that I would basically have nothing to do with upgrading that way)?
    There are two basic ways to use the iso acquired via bittorrent. After burning it to a CD or putting it on a USB drive, you can use it for a fresh install or if you insert it while your machine is running I believe you will be prompted to upgrade. When upgrading in this way, the upgrade will use packages from the CD instead of downloading them.

Also, I see, at <http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#bt>, in the list of links to download the Ubuntu cd image, that there are links for server and desktop, but what is "alternate"? Is that for laptops?
    The alternate CD, unlike the Desktop CD is not "Live". You can't use it to run a full Ubuntu environment from the CD. It is often used for machines that lack the capabilities to run the Live CD but are able to handle an install of Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by riseringseeker View Post
    Hold the "Alt" key and the "Sys Req" key and sequentially type "RSEIUB" (no quotes) as you hold them down.
    I always Sync the disks after Exiting and Interrupting all processes:

REISUB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

(1) Does anyone recommend a BitTorrent client they prefer over others?
    Nothing wrong with Transmission. If you want more features, you may want a different one, but it shold be great for just downloading Ubuntu.

(3) if I upgrade this way, would this mean that I should NOT then click the "Upgrade" button that has appeared at the top of my Update Manager (and that I would basically have nothing to do with upgrading that way)?
    It depends on what you want. Using this will allow you to write the image to a CD or Flash Drive and perform a fresh, clean installation. This will erase all of your programs, settings, etc. (Usually, not your files though).

If you click "Update", you will perform an upgrade. At this point, there shouldn't be anything wrong with an upgrade as opposed to a clean install. However, you may run into a problem. But, if you do this, you do not need to download Ubuntu from bittorrent. The inverse is also true.

Note that we recommend waiting a few more days to click on "Update", since many people are downloading Ubuntu at once. If you do download via bittorrent, you won't have this problem.

The alternate CD is rarely needed. For some systems, using it will allow an install when running the full live environment is not an option. Also, the alternate CD will let you do an offline update, meaning you can upgrade using packages on the CD instead of those downloaded from the server. You can use this if the computer you're upgrading doesn't have an internet connection.

More details Here.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by phyzome View Post
    I always Sync the disks after Exiting and Interrupting all processes:

REISUB
    That's actually a good idea, and I'll pass that on to Tom. Either way is about 100% better for your system than a hard reset, though.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12