Thread: Recording audio in 10.04 not working

Beans

Question FIXED: Recording audio in 10.04 not working

I am currently running Ubuntu 9.04 and am looking at upgrading to the upcoming 10.04 LTS release. And have been trying out the new version using the release candidate live CD. The main problem is one that was also evident when 9.04 was originally installed - audio recording and monitoring simply is not working.

With 9.04 it took several hours of head-banging and reading HOW-TOs and guides to get to the point where audio input to the sound card played through the speakers and can be recorded by programs such as Audacity. I've been trying to poke around with 10.04 to get the same results and so far had no success. (Things have changed sufficiently that it does not seem straightforward to simply replicate my 9.04 settings.) This is on 64-bit Ubuntu with a Soundblaster Audigy sound card.

It's a little disappointing that we are not yet at the point where this type of basic functionality is working "out of the box" with Ubuntu. Anyone have any tips to setting up 10.04 for audio recording and monitoring?

---------

UPDATE: Although I never did get this working with the live CD, recording worked fine after doing a test installation of Lucid on a spare hard drive. With the live CD the primary line input was not even showing up in alsamixer. With Lucid installed it was no problem to find and crank up the volume on this input. In actuality then, once the installation was actually done it took much less fiddling with this release than it did with 9.04 to get the same results.
    Last edited by cbraxton; May 6th, 2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Problem resolved

Beans

Unhappy Re: Recording audio in 10.04 not working

Just bumping this up - still have not been able to get 10.04 to record or monitor incoming audio. I'm now trying this with the newly-released 10.04 live CD. I've checked with alsamixer that the inputs are enabled, checked settings in the PulseAudio Device Chooser, and gone through hours of head-banging with the audio troubleshooting threads, but still no results. So looks like I'm going to have to stick with 9.04 for the time being.

I'm amazed that something as basic as this is so difficult to get working!