Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No sound in Ubuntu 10.04 RC

Beans

No sound in Ubuntu 10.04 RC

Hi,

I'm very new to Linux. I installed Ubuntu 10.04 RC in HP Compaq CQ62-111TU ( C=Intel Core i5 430m + 4GB DDR III + Intel HD audio) It works fine except for no sound from 2 speakers. But I can listen to sounds through head phone jack. External mic is also working fine but internal mic do not. I went through a one of the threads in this forum on sound problems but it didn't resolve my problem. Some of the information regarding my heardware generated with the Terminal are given below.

noma@anoma-laptop:~$ aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: INTEL HDMI [INTEL HDMI]

anoma@anoma-laptop:~$ lspci -v

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 1425
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
    Memory at d4400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

( When boot with win 7 it shows that there are two audio drivers 1.) Intel HD audio
    2.) Realtek audio )

Can any one help me to get my laptop's sound properly?

Looking for an early reply,

Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: No sound in Ubuntu 10.04 RC

Change the volume directly with alsamixer or sudo alsamixer. Worked for my USB headset.
    Laptop: i7 4930MX @3.9GHz undervolted; 32GB 4x8GB Kingston HyperX Impact 1600MHz; Nvidia 780M 4GB; Samsung 840 EVO mSATA 250GB; Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10 Pro.
    Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448

Beans

Volume is already increased to Max using Alsa mixer. But still not working..!!

Beans

I'm having the same problem with the same HDA device

I notice that 10.04RC is using alsa 1.0.21 (cat /proc/asound/version), and that the final release should have 1.0.22 (http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/alsa-base) so I'll try that tomorrow before I investigate further.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Can you post the output of these terminal commands for me please:
    Code:
    uname -a
    aplay -l
    cat /proc/asound/version
    head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*
    Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
    Please post text output using code tags. Also helpful is the make/model of your PC/Laptop.

Beans

Hi lidex, thanks for your interest in helping with this. I'm away from my shiny new problem machine for the time being, but will post the information you ask for when I get back to it, in the hope that it might generate some suggestions.

The laptop in question a Dell Studio 1458, and the output from `lspci` is identical to anomajaya's (except, of course, that it reports a dell subsystem, instead of a HP one). My symptoms are also identical.

For now, my plan of attack when I get home is to install the release version of Lucid, and then begin editing `/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf` and trying out all the various model options that I can pass to the `snd-hda-intel` module. Do you know where I can find a definitive and current list of these?

[Edit: here it is - `/usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/HD-Audio-Models.txt.gz`]

(FYI, a quick test last night on 10.04RC1 using `model=dell-m6` and `model=dell-bios` didn't help at all )

If I still have no success, then I guess I'll compile the latest ALSA drivers from source (or would you recommend the `ubuntu-audio-dev` PPA?) and see if that helps. Then I'm on to posting debug info at alsa-project.org, I suppose

I'm beginning to wonder if this new laptop was a mistake - I've already had to solve driver problems with the WLAN and graphics chipset, and I haven't even looked at things like HDMI or the webcam yet.... Ah well, "once more unto the breach", eh?

Last edited by simon_w; April 30th, 2010 at 04:57 AM.

Beans

Well I finally got a chance to look at this, and I believe I've solved my issue. It seems I have an audio chipset that uses a very new codec - Realtek ALC665.

Code:
    cat /proc/asound/card*/codec#* | grep Codec
    The solution was to compile a special version of the alsa driver (1.0.22) provided by Realtek which includes the necessary driver. I obtained the driver from here.

I only actually needed to compile and install the alsa-driver itself - the libraries and utils from the Lucid install are compatible.

Code:
    tar xf LinuxPkg_5.14rc6.tar.bz2
    cd realtek-linux-audiopack-5.14/
    tar xf alsa-driver-1.0.22-5.14rc6.tar.bz2
    cd alsa-driver-1.0.22
    ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel
    make
    sudo make install
    after a restart, I have everything working perfectly (touch wood!) - speakers, headphone jacks (both of them), internal mic...

Hope it works for you too!

simon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by proxess View Post
    Change the volume directly with alsamixer or sudo alsamixer. Worked for my USB headset.
    Proxess is your USB headset working flawlessly? Under 10.04 I never sure what applications will send the sound to the headset and which will send the sound to the speakers. You experienced this too?

jakslev
    Proud to have been 100% not a Mascrosoft slave since March 2009!

Join the Reformed Church of Emacs!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Okay, so none of the above worked for me. But then I remembered that I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 by command line and I was getting audio. But I wanted a fresh install and that's when I had no audio. So I think I've got a really out of the way workaround. I'm going to do a clean install of 9.10 then upgrade by command line to 10.04. I'll let everyone know how it goes. By the way here are my system details

Code:
    > aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]

> uname -r
    2.6.32-21-generic
    Intel Chip
    Dell
    64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I got the sound in USB to work in one application (SecondLife) by forcing it to use the alsamixer. i suppose something is messed upi somewhere in the new 10.04 - and I hope that enough people use USB headphones and notices the problem so it ca be fixed...

looking forwards to hearing how the update thing goes - and to see what the config file reads then!
    Proud to have been 100% not a Mascrosoft slave since March 2009!

Join the Reformed Church of Emacs!!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast