Thread: Tutorial of the Month

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Tutorial of the Month

Long time no see..

I'll revive this nice project as a monthly review of tutorials mainly published in the Tutorials & Tips section but also in any other section really

You can find all the previous Tutorials of the Week here.

For May 2010, we'll highlight ibuclaw's "HowTO: Sudoers Configuration". New users sometimes have difficulties to understand permissions on Linux. This guide is a very good way to start. The subject has already been covered extensively by many forums, blogs and wikis, why point out at this particular one?

Well, first because it's ibuclaw's, formerly known as tinivole (you will always be tinivole to me, no matter what ).
    Second, it's built on user cases dedicated to walking new users through the sudoers file.
    Third, it gets into some fine permissions and aliases, which make the sudoers file quite powerful.
    Last but not least, even if the thread can be seen as a little old, tiniv.. ibuclaw will be happy to give you support.

Have fun reading, and please do not break anything
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Tutorial of the Month

June 2010 - Apparmor

What a subject.. We'll step out of the T&T section this month to visit the Security Discussions area.
    bodhi.zazen spends a lot of time in this section, educating and providing support.
    apparmor (Application Armor) does what its name suggests, it helps protecting the system if an application gets compromised. apparmor works with specific application profiles that regulate and define the applications access in addition to the usual system permissions (which apparmor can only restrict).

By default, Ubuntu comes with apparmor profiles for CUPS, evince, dhclient3, firefox (which is not enabled) and the guest session.

The first thread to read is Introduction to AppArmor which is closed for posting.
    Two other threads are open for discussion: Share your AppArmor Profiles and AppArmor Support Thread.

Enjoy the readings, test it out and report back in the threads!
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]