Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major BIOS and GRUB issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Major BIOS and GRUB issues

Wasn't really sure where to post this, or if this is even the right forum for it, but I figured I'd try anyway.

I been having so pretty major problems with my computer, mainly due to me tampering with stuff I don't know much about. It's long.

It started when I tried installing patched OS X DVD I had downloaded to try out (if it worked i was planning on buying the physical copy to make things a little more legal). I was following an installation guide I found online, and it asked me to make a new partition, then mark it as active. I did this and it prompted me something about having an operating system on the marked partition, so I figured it was fine because the quide said so, and I was about to install an OS anyway.

Then I restarted and attempted to install, but after multiple tries I gave up and tried to boot back into Windows. On boot i was told that the BOOTMGR was missing, but because I didn't have a Windows 7 disc to repair it (got the legal code from my brother), I installed Ubuntu Studio 9.10 onto what was the OS X partition, figuring this would be a good opportunity to get GRUB as the default bootloader. Boot then said that the OS was missing, but I knew it wasn't so I had to F12 and select the drive manually, which has worked so far, but it's a real pain, especially now that Ubuntu is the default in GRUB, so I have to go through another menu when I boot.

also, I tried changing the default boot of GRUB, by editing etc/default/grub (and yes, I did run update-grub after saving it) and now when I try booting Windows it says it has an "invalid signature", which means I can't even get into Windows anyway, I googled the problem but all the answers seem to really only be relative to the person asking.

Any light you can shed is greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Major BIOS and GRUB issues

I'd look at BIOS hard drive boot prioty and set them to PM; PS, SM; SS; and try follow suit for SATA drives,

then reinstall grub

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

With my limited knowledge that sounds good, but I don't really know how to do that. If I could get some more detail that might help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If your unsure about BIOS then leave that bit, as for reinstalling grub there are loads of guides all pretty easy to follow, here's one
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks I got windows working again in GRUB, so now all thats left is the BIOS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

grubs working \ windows working\ ubuntu working?

if so leave bios

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Theyre all working now, but its such a pain to have to go through 3 menus during boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

3 menus?

what are they

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, I have to go press F12 t oget to the boot menu, find the right HDD, go to GRUB, go down to Windows (I'd rather it be default, since I only use ubuntu for studio operations. But I'm pretty sure trying to change the boot order of GRUB is what gave me the signature issue) then i have to select the account I want to log in as (which I'm not sure why this is, since I only have 1 account. XP used to do this for me too).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

use Hiren's Boot CD to wipe drive - start over clean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast