Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.4 upgrade, Xorg, cpu, fans gone nuts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

10.4 upgrade, Xorg, cpu, fans gone nuts

Hi all,

I upgraded my Asus Eeepc 900a to 10.4 yesterday. Since then, Xorg has averaged between 30-40% CPU, and my fans have gone nuts running high/low/high/low, ad nausium.

Any ideas what might be going on? Another clue perhaps: on reboot or shutdown, I get a "program not responding" message with "unknown" as the hung program. I have not been able to determine what this program is or if it is related to the hyperactive Xorg.

Cheers,

S

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 10.4 upgrade, Xorg, cpu, fans gone nuts

Type "atq" command on terminal and paste there results. I had similiar problem after upgrading to 10.04rc and have solved it, but first we need to know if that's the problem.

Beans
    Distro

atq produces nothing...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK, so this is not the case I had, because there were some planned jobs on my system that caused 100% CPU usage. Date of those planned jobs was from November 2009, and they showed just after the upgrade to 10.04rc and I thought it may be the same situation with your high CPU usag, but if atq shows nothing then it is not the same situation.

I have no other ideas what it can be, so I hope someone else will help you.

Beans
    Distro

thanks anyway. I appreciate your effort. I downloaded and am running blackbox as my wm which has solved the problem temporarily, so must be a config problem with gnome somewhere...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Did you clean install or upgrade? If you upgraded, then you should try booting from a LiveCD to see how it acts.
    Cheers & Beers,
    uRock™

Ubuntu 14.04 is the Ubuntu I've always wanted!

Beans

Same problem. Funny thing is that i made a thread 4 weeks ago while in alfa. It did installed some new fglrx drive (automatically) and after short usage of the system the Xorg process started to "eat" more than 60% off of my CPU. Now i downloaded the release ISO burned it on a cd and installed it from the live version. Everytime my mouse go through hyperlink in either firefox OR chrome i get 1 sec lag...I read that as a caution not to download BETA 2 because i might experience this very problem but it was also saying that...it will be fixed in the final release...yet after 10 minutes of installing the software that I ALWAYS INSTALL since 8.10 it began to literally rape my CPU locking me out unable to do anything >.< I must say that this is not fun. There is no need to tell that...compiz is disabled by default (<3 legacy OS driver) and if i enable it my pc will lag like hell. This is the most annoying ATi driver bug EVER >.< Im 2 seconds away to go and buy some nVidia video card god **** it...stupid amd...stupid ATi...i hope you bancrupt...besides that the new ubuntu is real epic deal

Beans

bump. Any solution to the problem ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I hear that installing backports is helping some with this problem. Something about a fix being made but not included in the final ISO because it was created after the freeze.
    Cheers & Beers,
    uRock™

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    You may want to enable the backports in your /etc/sources.list. There was a bug fix for that before the release but it was after the freeze.

I believe it has been included in an update somewhere and read somewhere that backports may be the source of the update.
    This may be a tad more helpful. If you click the thingy that takes you to his post there are one or two other things to try which have been said to work.
    Cheers & Beers,
    uRock™

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast