Thread: Got Alsa Working but stil no video for anything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Wink Got Alsa Working but stil no video for anything

Hi there, I have been having problems with my computer freezing and having glitchy sound so I followed thisand got Alsa up and running. All is well except I'm wondering how do I get video in any program since none of them is displaying video.

They used to, but since I installed wine 1.2 and fired up command and conquer 3 on it, thats when the problem started, but the glitchyness seems to be an ongoing problem, thought chaning from pulse to alsa might help....... don't think it has.... but any way the question is what do I do aobut video play back? and what are the correct packages to install.

I have them all from source and from deb so take your pick of packages to tell me to reinstall. oh yes one last thing I had a kernel update just the other day, but the black screen started before then, it seemed as though it was connected to me installing wine 1.2. I used their repo I think....>>>>,not sure but first i just used the standard wine form the the repos, then I uninstalled it cause my game didn't work off the bat. Then I installed wine 1.2 and had a few games and whenever I left a game I would leave my dekstop a weird resolution, so I logged out and back in and things were cool... but then straight after playing c'n'c 3 I tried to play a video and bam no video? just sound both with alsa and pulse, and in any media player.....

My desktop effects are turned off and I have the cuda driver .29 everything run super in the game at max res.

cheers for the help
    www.endorsedbylinux.org -
    HTML Code:
    [B]www.linuxpetitions.org[/B]
    Letting Company's know we do give a damn about our software!
    Please contribute code and time to make these sites work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Wink Re: Got Alsa Working but stil no video for anything

bump - I'm not getting lockups or lags now, but still can't get my video back. I've installed my driver again, got w64codecs, got libdvdcss etc etc as the docs instruct....

It's just now everything from vlc to mplayer think that there isn't a problem vlc tells me codec info - poof one day it's working next it's not, cmon give a brother some help.

ps, sound's fine but when I changed/did an update it wanted to remove w52 codecs and install official not mediubuntu packages.... does this help???

cheers

heelp
    www.endorsedbylinux.org -
    HTML Code:
    [B]www.linuxpetitions.org[/B]
    Letting Company's know we do give a damn about our software!
    Please contribute code and time to make these sites work