Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stream audio from iPod touch/iPhone over bluetooth to computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Stream audio from iPod touch/iPhone over bluetooth to computer

I can confirm that phone has A2DP support. For Linux Mint 8, you might have to upgrade the bluez package to the latest version, however, Ubuntu 10.04 should work out the box. You need at least BlueZ 4.46 but the latest is probably best. I am not sure why you don't see AudioSource.

Beans

You have been very patient with a newbie like me. Thanks for that!
    One question though, how do I check the version of Bluez?
    Aditya Pratap V.

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will" - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

We all were once newbies, I still consider myself a newbie. LOL.
    But you can open synaptic and type in BlueZ and see which version is currently installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For those of you who stumble on this thread and really would like a script to somewhat automate the process of connecting your A2DP device, I created such a script. It uses zenity to add a GUI element so you might have to install it from the repos if it is not installed.While doing that, make sure libqt4-dbus is installed to, but it should be there already. UPDATE: libqt4-dbus is no longer needed as the script now uses 'dbus-send'. Thank you hohlraum!

You still need to add your source and sink from pacmd with list-sources and list-sinks respectively to the script. I left a spot at the top of the script to add them. Leave no space between the '=' and what you type. You can type qdbus --system org.bluez into a terminal to find your device address ( If you do not have the package libqt4-dbus installed, ignore this). It should look like /org/bluez/XXXX/hci0/dev_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX where XX are numbers or letters. You only need to type the dev_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX_XX in the script. Word of cation, this script creates a file in your home directory called .bluetooth_unload, if you have a file with that name, change the script to not overwrite your file. I tried to make the script as portable as possible, but there may be something I missed so use it with discretion!!!!

Make sure the file is executable and your done. You can run the script from console, or add a launcher to your gnome menu to get the full GUI effect. Gnome-Do is also a good launcher too.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by megamanexent; December 7th, 2010 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Updated script, *now uses dbus-send, Karmic fix, Code tidy-up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Those of you on Karmic will need to manually load the PulseAudio Bluetooth Module.
    This should install it
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
    This should load it
    Code:
    pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover
    After you get d-feet to show AudioSource, This should help you find the source while the device is connected
    Code:
    pactl list | grep bluez_source
    This can help find the sink, but pacmd and list-sinks will give you all sinks if you have more than one sound card
    Code:
    pactl list | grep alsa_output
    Follow Rick123 instructions ( or you could use the script above )and you should now have A2DP audio!!
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=10

Beans

I am able to connect to my ubuntu box and hear audio but it is very crackly and seems to be playing too slowly (like powering down a record player). I'm running a fresh install of ubuntu 10.04 with iPhone 4 ios 4. Any suggestions? I get a similar effect when running an iPad with 3.2 on it. Lots of pitch shifting and echo effect.
    Last edited by Tylerc230; August 10th, 2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I noticed this to, but it was off and on. I thought is might be pulseaudio, but looking at this bug report, it might be bluez https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ez/+bug/424215
    Any way, there is a suggested fix and im going to try it to see if it helps.

** Update **

Seems to work better yes, but this is with an iPhone 3G.
    what I did was from the bug report

Code:
    sudo hciconfig hci0 lm ACCEPT,MASTER
    Code:
    sudo hciconfig hci0 lp HOLD,SNIFF,PARK
    Now just to add it to udev to run at start-up
    Last edited by megamanexent; August 10th, 2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Sucsess

Beans

Didn't seem to work for me. There are other post regarding pulseaudio and varying playback speed so I think it has something to do with that. I'll post back if I find a solution.

Beans

Hi,
    I have tried this with maverick , and my phone, everything went well for setting up, but unfortunately no sound in the computer!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sancelot View Post
    Hi,
    I have tried this with maverick , and my phone, everything went well for setting up, but unfortunately no sound in the computer!
    Did you make sure to use the right sink and source when you ran 'pactl load-module module-loopback source=YOURSOURCE sink=YOURSINK'?
    Theoretically, it should work on maverick.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast