Thread: System->Admin->Disk Utility->Benchmark results

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: System->Admin->Disk Utility->Benchmark results

Quote Originally Posted by Onesimus View Post
    (i.e at 50% of the time)
    But it isn't 50% of the time - it's 50% of the disk capacity.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans

Thumbs up Re: System->Admin->Disk Utility->Benchmark results

My results using a 30 GB vertex SSD
    min: 122.0 MB/s
    max: 249.7 MB/s
    avg: 197.5 MB/s
    avg access: 0.5 ms

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by andrewabc View Post
    I didn't notice any major problems. The average would be average for the whole test, not just an average between min/max. Although a 200mb datapoint even though nothing else is above 100mb/s does throw off avg a bit. The way to solve this would be to use statistical analysis to eliminate irregular occurrences (forget proper term) from calculating the averages.
    What I am suggesting is a statistical analysis. There are three ways to calculate the average. The mean, the median, and the mode. The average that I am suggesting should be determined is the median (i.e. the 50 percentile - it occurs for 50% of the time). This would be a better average because it wouldn't be affected by large data points that don't occur very often. Whereas the mean average would be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by MacUntu View Post
    But it isn't 50% of the time - it's 50% of the disk capacity.
    Then if that is the case, how does it determine values for 0% of the disk capacity - does it empty the disk ? Or for 100% does it fill it ?

Until the data is clearly presented and understood how they have been dervied, then there seems little point in posting values on the forum, because it is not entirely clear what the data values actually mean.
    'I am writing to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask.'

Beans
    Hidden!

W
    Then if that is the case, how does it determine values for 0% of the disk capacity - does it empty the disk ? Or for 100% does it fill it ?
    You dont understand. A regular harddisk has different performance characteristics at the inside tracks as on the outside. The outside turns faster (well, the speed of the platter is higher relative to the head) -> higher performance. Nothing to do with how full it is, the graph shows performance from the outside to the inside of the hdd platter.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    You dont understand. A regular harddisk has different performance characteristics at the inside tracks as on the outside. The outside turns faster (well, the speed of the platter is higher relative to the head) -> higher performance. Nothing to do with how full it is, the graph shows performance from the outside to the inside of the hdd platter.
    Then wouldn't it be helpful to everyone, if that was stated somewhere. I wouldn't call myself IT illiterate having been a software developer/analyst for 20 years, but I do wonder if developers have gone to the trouble of developing software (perhaps over several months) then would it be too much for them to go that extra mile and spend an hour writing a paragraph or two describing their efforts so those that aren't in the know might appreciate them even more ?

If performance really does improve towards the outer sections of the disk (i.e approaching 100%), shouldn't people be concerned if the performance decreases. In general, most of the results posted here appear to indicate that performance of the read-rate reduces with increasing disk capacity.

Beans
    Hidden!

Then wouldn't it be helpful to everyone, if that was stated somewhere. I wouldn't call myself IT illiterate having been a software developer/analyst for 20 years, but I do wonder if developers have gone to the trouble of developing software (perhaps over several months) then would it be too much for them to go that extra mile and spend an hour writing a paragraph or two describing their efforts so those that aren't in the know might appreciate them even more ?
    Generally those concerned about the performance of their drives and running benchmarks I think will be aware of this. I also actually find it pretty amazing they included such a nice benchmark here in what is just a disk utility, not a sisoft sandra benchmarking suite, its not like you will find anything like it on windows or os-x by default. Some people are never satisfied

But anyway, its open source, so feel free to contribute!

If performance really does improve towards the outer sections of the disk (i.e approaching 100%), shouldn't people be concerned if the performance decreases.
    Im not sure I understand what you are saying. The graph represents
    0% as the outside tracks (which is the beginning) of the hdd where performance (read/write throughput at least) is highest. This is completely normal and by design. Some people partition their drives accordingly, creating "fast" partitions at the beginning of the drive.

In general, most of the results posted here appear to indicate that performance of the read-rate reduces with increasing disk capacity.
    ?
    No, not capacity. It decreases near the inside of the drive, but that has no direct relationship with a full or empty drive. It depends entirely where your partitions are and how your OS decides to fill them. You can tune this if you really want, and to some extent OSs are clever and try putting commonly used files at the beginning (outside), but its really not worth bothering with for most and avoiding fragmentation is a much bigger issue than this.
    Last edited by P4man; April 29th, 2010 at 09:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm sorry for throwing in the word "capacity".

Quote Originally Posted by Onesimus
    Then wouldn't it be helpful to everyone, if that was stated somewhere.
    Definitely.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Distro

@P4man

Thank you for taking the time to explain things patiently to me. I am impressed with the ever-growing functionality of the applications that are provided as standard with the default Ubuntu installation.

I suppose I just feel that if more explanation was provided it would be helpful to everyone.

Thanks once again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here are the results from my SSD Raid0

I am running 10.04 RC with an Intel S5000XVNSATAR mainboard, Dual L5310 Quad Core Xeons over clocked to 2.0Ghz (1333 bus), Thermalright True Black 120 coolers with Scythe 120mm fans, 8G (8x1G) FBDIMMS, OCZ 550W PSU, Yate Loon case and ram fans, Nvidia Quadro FX540 PCIe, Dual Intel X25v 40G SSDs in Raid (R1 /boot, R0 swap and /), Chieftec mid tower EAXT case, Rosewill PCI wireless card.
    Dell 1510/10.04_32b, Dell A90/10.10_32b, Zotac ION/A330/10.04_64b(HTPC)/64G SSD, MSI Wind A230 Nettop /FreeNAS7/2x Samsung F1 R1, Intel S5000XVN/ 2x QC L5310/8G FBDIMM/2 X25v R0/midtower EATX 10.04_x64, Supermicro 1U P4/10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here are the SSDs by themselves.

Dell 1510/10.04_32b, Dell A90/10.10_32b, Zotac ION/A330/10.04_64b(HTPC)/64G SSD, MSI Wind A230 Nettop /FreeNAS7/2x Samsung F1 R1, Intel S5000XVN/ 2x QC L5310/8G FBDIMM/2 X25v R0/midtower EATX 10.04_x64, Supermicro 1U P4/10.04

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast