Thread: ubuntu refuses to install on thinkpad X201

Beans

Re: ubuntu refuses to install on thinkpad X201

Quote Originally Posted by pIII View Post
    for the screen brightness see here:
    http://old.nabble.com/X201-brightnes...o28496959.html

im wondering if the kernels from here will help:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=M;O=D
    Thanks for the links. I just tried several kernel version from kernel.ubuntu.com; no luck so far, but I'm hoping to get a reply on the nabble.com thread.

Beans

heia amy, here is something extra to keep and eye on:
    http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28180

Beans

I have been having the same issues. I have a new X201 and trying to get 10.04 up and running.

So far I was able to boot the ubuntu installer via USB stick using the

xforcevesa i915.modeset=0

but I can not get the actual installed instance to boot even with the same parameters. This is both regular and recovery mode.

Anyone know why?

I want to try to install the debs in the launchpad thread but can't do so unless i can boot the system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jskulski View Post
    I have been having the same issues. I have a new X201 and trying to get 10.04 up and running.

So far I was able to boot the ubuntu installer via USB stick using the

xforcevesa i915.modeset=0

but I can not get the actual installed instance to boot even with the same parameters. This is both regular and recovery mode.

Anyone know why?

I want to try to install the debs in the launchpad thread but can't do so unless i can boot the system.
    You have to supply those same parameters to the installed kernel to get it to boot:

Quote Originally Posted by amy_cgi View Post
    For any who might want full details: I was able to install Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop (released version) yesterday using the main install disks (not alt). I did this by including the options "xforcevesa i915.modeset=0" on the boot line for the default install -- I needed both these options in order to get it to work. After install, I edited the grub boot command (hold down shift until after the BIOS screen to be able to edit boot options) to include these options in the kernel call. I then edited /etc/default/grub, setting GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xforcevesa i915.modeset=0", and then called "sudo update-grub". Worked like a charm! I'm loving 10.04!

Beans

You have to supply those same parameters to the installed kernel to get it to boot:
    Right, what I am saying is that when I supply those parameters to the installed instance it doesn't work. I am not sure why that it is, I would assume it was the same kernel.

Anyway, I sucessfully mounted my installed instanced, chrooted and patched the kernel, compiled and installed it. However updated blew away my grub config (points back to the original install)

Beans

I followed the instructions posted here, and was able to get a livecd install from an SD card (using the modeset option ), also edited the /etc/default/grub file and works fine on reboot, also installed later kernels (2.6.34 rc7 etc from mainline) in an attempt to resolve the brightness issue, didn't work.
    I see the thinkpad_acpi driver loaded:

lsmod | grep thinkpad
    thinkpad_acpi 81537 0
    led_class 3455 1 thinkpad_acpi
    snd 71802 21 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_ oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_hwdep,snd_usb_lib,snd_pcm,sn d_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_de vice,thinkpad_acpi
    nvram 7835 1 thinkpad_acpi

a cat of the thinkpad driver setting:

cat /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/leds/tpacpi\:\:standby/brightness
    matt@matt-laptop:~/ibm_driver$ cat /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/leds/tpacpi\:\:standby/max_brightness

from http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Thinkpad-acpi

not sure where to go from here, I did a recompile but since the driver is already enabled (i think) not sure what to do..

/sys/devices/platform/

Beans

I am having similar issues on my lenovo x201 tablet. About one half of the times I boot the machine I get a black screen. The other half of the times everything works out perfectly, even with visual effects like transparency. What could be the reason for this strange behaviour?

I tried the "i915.modeset = 0"-suggestion but this only made things worse: The graphics starts with the wrong resolution and crashes after one second.

Please note that I am completely new to Linux and not so aquainted with the finer details of the booting process and graphics. My system is up to date.

Anyway, I can still work with this problem, I just need to reboot a couple of times in order to get everything running. Still, I would very much like to resolve it.

Any help would be appreciated,

Philipp
    Last edited by xxphilippxx; July 11th, 2010 at 03:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

For any who might want full details: I was able to install Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop (released version) yesterday using the main install disks (not alt). I did this by including the options "xforcevesa i915.modeset=0" on the boot line for the default install -- I needed both these options in order to get it to work. After install, I edited the grub boot command (hold down shift until after the BIOS screen to be able to edit boot options) to include these options in the kernel call. I then edited /etc/default/grub, setting GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xforcevesa i915.modeset=0", and then called "sudo update-grub". Worked like a charm! I'm loving 10.04!
    Thanks for this!

BTW, I'm not sure about the holding in Shift bit... At the grub (bootloader) options screen, I selected Ubuntu, and hit "c" to edit it...then proceeded as you describe.

Although, it seems I had to hold Shift to get the options screen after booting the Ubuntu install CD (10.04, x86-64).

Beans

Hi All, just installed 10.04 onto my X201, without the grub setting change it worked good when plugged into an external monitor (this was also how I managed to install it) but now I have the setting 'xforcevesa i915.modeset=0' in the grub setting it doesn't boot beyond briefly throwing up the ubuntu logo with purple background the 5 dots then goes to a black screen with the Caps lock LED blinking. anything else I can try?

Beans

Hi all,

I am having the same problem as LeighB2282. I have ubuntu 10.04 working on my x201 laptop but the external monitor is not detected. If I boot ubuntu without the i915.modeset=0 option then the monitor is detected but not the laptop's screen --its blank. (This is not true however if I connect the external monitor through the docking station, in which case the external monitor is not detected.) In the case that I remove the modeset=0 option, the external monitor is detected but the resolution is off and the gui interface in the system options does not recognize the resolution of the monitor, rather it sticks with the original laptop resolution.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated, as I use this laptop many hours a day and having an external monitor working would help me a lot.

thank you!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast