Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Android freight train is picking up momemtum...

Beans

The Android freight train is picking up momemtum...

http://lifehacker.com/5525578/androi...in-web-traffic

Interesting stuff, especially considering this is pre-Incredible...

While no one phone has been, or probably will be a true iPhone killer, I think it's safe to say that Android is an iPhone killer. You can't bet against the numbers. Right now the iPhone is outnumbered something like 32:1, in makes and models, not to mention the variety of carriers carrying Android.

BM
    Last edited by blur xc; April 28th, 2010 at 12:02 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: The Android freight train is picking up momemtum...

Good. Apple's nastiness with their developers and Adobe drove me to get a Droid. I'd rather not spend a lot of time making a good app and have it sit in limbo for months only to be rejected for something ridiculous.
    ThinkPad R61 14" | Fedora 14 | Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz | 4GB DDR2 | 64GB SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Dell is coming out with a real sexy new Android phone with a 4.1 inch screen.

It's called the Thunder.

Finding New Ways to Use Ubuntu to Simplify My Digital Life.
    Linux - The Platform for a New Digital Generation.

Beans

I think Dell's coming out with a few Android phones.....

uummm.....

yup- the Flash, Thunder, and Smoke - http://gizmodo.com/5521609/dells-nex...nder-and-smoke

Not my cup of tea - I prefer industrial looking designs (Incredible), but very nice nonetheless...

BM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by blur xc View Post
    While no one phone has been, or probably will be a true iPhone killer, I think it's safe to say that Android is an iPhone killer.
    I think it's safe to say there's no such thing as an "iPhone killer."

Android will certainly take marketshare away from the iPhone, but it isn't enough to have better or more features than the iPhone. The Apple brand is strong, and no matter what there will be people who go with the Apple option, especially when it comes to mobile devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad), as opposed to computers (Macbook, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini).

There's no way my wife is getting an Android phone. She is in love with the iPhone.

Many people will be drawn to the openness or the features/specs of Android phones, but some people will just prefer the iPhone interface and the way Apple approaches usability.

Much as I love my Android phone, there are so many little things in the interface that are annoying, and it's clear to me that Google doesn't do enough usability testing. (For example, if I am on a screen in which there is only an input text box and on a phone with no physical keyboard, why doesn't the on-screen keyboard come up by itself? Why do I have to tap into the field to get it to appear?)
    Last edited by aysiu; April 28th, 2010 at 12:32 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I think it's safe to say there's no such thing as an "iPhone killer."

Android will certainly take marketshare away from the iPhone, but it isn't enough to have better or more features than the iPhone. The Apple brand is strong, and no matter what there will be people who go with the Apple option, especially when it comes to mobile devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad), as opposed to computers (Macbook, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini).

There's no way my wife is getting an Android phone. She is in love with the iPhone.

Many people will be drawn to the openness or the features/specs of Android phones, but some people will just prefer the iPhone interface and the way Apple approaches usability.

Much as I love my Android phone, there are so many little things in the interface that are annoying, and it's clear to me that Google doesn't do enough usability testing. (For example, if I am on a screen in which there is only an input text box and on a phone with no physical keyboard, why doesn't the on-screen keyboard come up by itself? Why do I have to tap into the field to get it to appear?)
    That depends on what your definition of "is" is... And when I say iPhone killer, I don't mean it will drive it out of existence, but just surpass it by a huge margin in market share.

The iPhone will continue to exist, but just won't be the baddest kid in class anymore...

BM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, we have a definition discrepancy, then. No worries.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

<3 I want one so bad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: The Android freight train is picking up momemtum...

HTC Incredible here I come !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Why do I have to tap into the field to get it to appear?)
    I like that, myself. I'd hate it if it just showed up unwanted.
    thank you, dan henderson.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast