Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Request for a sticky, or something, when Lucid releases

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Request for a sticky, or something, when Lucid releases

Oh here is a CRAZY idea.

How about LISTENING to your fanbase for once and not changing things that the fanbase CLEARLY told you that they did not like and change it back.

Crazy Idea....I know.
    CANONICAL GET OFF YOUR REARS AND FIX THE DNS ISSUE.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Question Re: Request for a sticky, or something, when Lucid releases

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    There is a lot of misinformation bouncing around about changing window button order in Ubuntu Lucid. Whenever someone asks about moving buttons back to the left, someone seems to pop in telling them to do it with gconf-editor by changing the /apps/metacity/general/button_layout key. That works, but it isn't the right approach and it perpetuates the myth that window button order is hard to configure, that this change is evil, etcetera.

So, new in Lucid is the ability for a meta-theme (the big icons in the Theme section of Appearance Preferences) to individually specify a window button layout. Currently Dust, Impression, Radiance and Ambience use this to provide unusual button orders. The default, however, is still the older order (menu on left; minimize, maximize and close on right). So, if you definitely aren't happy with buttons being on the left, simply choose a different theme. (Homosapien is a really cool one!)

If you still want the Ambience or Radiance theme but with buttons on the right, choose one of those other themes, press the Customize button, and have fun!

This change makes it easier for themes to do interesting things with window borders

Unfortunately, if the wrong approach spreads, they won't be able to do that.
    Yeah, I'm one of those guys advocating using gconf-editor. I don't follow why you say that's wrong. If it works, why is it wrong? Besides, what if an end-user doesn't want the "interesting things" going on in the borders that you are talking about? Surely there will be a gconf key to deal with those "interesting things" too. Gconf-editor is just another way to do something. I like desktop icons for my Trash, Home, Network and Computer too. I don't believe there's an easier way than using gconf-editor to get those back (as they appear in Debian, Fedora, etc.).

I do understand using a method that's easier and doesn't feel like you are editing a Windows registry key. The problem is, any way that would be intuitive other than switching themes then customizing would probably break with the upstream distribution at this time. You would probably have to add a new tab to the Appearances>Themes>Customize dialog. That would definitely be anathema.

What seems to be advocated here as the "proper" method is counter-intuitive at best. Yes it works, but how is it any easier? It's certainly a matter of opinion. And speaking of that, we also have some advocating running a script in the terminal window to do the same job. I do understand that needs to be nipped in the bud.

Agreed we need to all be on the same page here as more people find they would like the buttons on the right as Lucid adoption increases. A sticky is the very best way to do that. It will also serve to avoid multiple help requests getting asked in multiple forums about how to make the switch. Obviously we don't want what is actually a feature that allows customization of the desktop to become a source of FUD.

Isn't it wild how such a simple change has caused so much debate and controversy? But the cat is out of the bag now!
    Last edited by djchandler; April 30th, 2010 at 03:17 AM.
    Reading Sticky Threads is informative and saves time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by djchandler View Post
    Yeah, I'm one of those guys advocating using gconf-editor. I don't follow why you say that's wrong. If it works, why is it wrong? Besides, what if an end-user doesn't want the "interesting things" going on in the borders that you are talking about? Surely there will be a gconf key to deal with those "interesting things" too. Gconf-editor is just another way to do something.
    I do understand the reluctance, and indeed this is (for now) a patch applied downstream but most definitely making its way upstream.

For an example of why I am adamant my way is the one we should advocate, change your theme to something else, then change it back to Ambiance. There goes your customization, and there enters a confused user

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    I do understand the reluctance, and indeed this is (for now) a patch applied downstream but most definitely making its way upstream.

For an example of why I am adamant my way is the one we should advocate, change your theme to something else, then change it back to Ambiance. There goes your customization, and there enters a confused user
    I'm with you on this. And you are right about the user becoming confused. And there could result an exit of the confused user. We all agree we don't want that.

So a sticky authored by you seems to be very much in order. My only other suggestion is that it needs to be placed prominently, perhaps in multiple forums besides absolute beginners talk and general help, throughout Ubuntu Forums.

BTW, check this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465822
    Last edited by djchandler; April 30th, 2010 at 03:52 AM.
    Reading Sticky Threads is informative and saves time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
    Oh here is a CRAZY idea.

How about LISTENING to your fanbase for once and not changing things that the fanbase CLEARLY told you that they did not like and change it back.

Crazy Idea....I know.
    Oh here is a CRAZY idea.

How about the admins of this forum have NO CONTROL over any aspect of the Ubuntu interface, so they have to make the BEST of the situation and provide a sticky.

Crazy Idea....I know.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12