View Poll Results: You could switch 90% of the world to Linux without them knowing.

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • True

30 25.86%
  • False

86 74.14%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: If you ported Explorer to Linux...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: If you ported Explorer to Linux...

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    There is no incentive. The point was to illustrate that most average users think the desktop environment is the operating system, but people can't take it for what it is. Everyone wants to add there own little spin to it. I deal with PC users several times a week. If they try to install something, and it doesn't work. They are not going to think it's because someone switched their operating system. The fact that, so many people are saying that makes me wonder what kind of average computer users they deal with on a day to day basis. Half the people on the forum think that Explorer = Internet Explorer, and half don't read the thread, or spin it in some way. I have to say this has been a pretty frustrating thread.
    Um, but to go over what I said in my first post to this thread, actually I think you'll find that on a deeper level, Windows Explorer is much more closely linked to Internet Explorer than you may be giving it credit for.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    This is a spin. When did I ever say there would be a benefit to this? If you read the thread how could you possibly make this post? This thread turned out to be pretty fascinating really. If anything it's a behavioral experiment to see how many words can be put in someones mouth that they never said.
    You are right, of course. This whole thread shows quite clearly that "ordinary users" don't understand "spin". So they cluelessly attempt to fill-in missing information as best they can.

What can I say? I can only bow my head in shame. Your awesome cluefullness and superior ability to "spin" is obvious and wonderous.

I shall now go stand in the corner with my clueless user dunce cap firmly planted on my pointed little head while you point and laugh. You have put me in my place. I am ever so grateful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The reason I switch to Linux is Nautilus, Gnome and among other things. We don't need to fool the users. I mean they have to know what OS they are using and their usefulness. Porting Explorer or Internet explorer to Linux is not going to work. Sooner or later they going to find out that they been taken for a ride. I don't think anybody likes that.

Beans

The biggest problems I'd see with that is the file browser and windows apps.

If someone wants to run a program installed normally in C:\Program Files, they would have no idea where to look under the *nix filesystem layout (and probably be confused about /home)

Then if someone tries to download freeware for windows they'd smash the computer or something when it doesn't work
    Ubuntu user #22693
    --SIGNATURE SPACE FOR RENT--

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345