View Poll Results: Do you use the command line?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, every day

122 76.73%
  • Yes, at least once a week

16 10.06%
  • Occasionally, when I really need to

17 10.69%
  • Nope

4 2.52%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do you use the command line regularly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Do you use the command line regularly?

I use it every day, because it's more efficient for what I do than the GUIs that would accomplish the same task. That said, ubuntu does allow you to do most of everything with a GUI if you're that way inclined. This poll really isn't indicative of anything.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal

Isn't that just a script that opens a separate terminal window?
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans

Bash is the best file manager that I've found... It's just a lot easier to get stuff done that way sometimes. Note- easier to learn and easer to use are two different things. I spent a few good months studying up and it's been way worth the effort, there's still tons to learn though...

BM

Beans

Ubuntu should imho try to be as cli-independent as it gets, and it's doing great. But I just think cli is way faster and more lightweight (and more fun) than gui, so I use it all the time for package / file management, irc, music.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    Isn't that just a script that opens a separate terminal window?
    It opens a terminal in the directory currently open in Nautilus. I've never found a script that creates a persistent terminal in Nautilus, which would be handy.

Beans

I keep yakuake running full time just for easy CLI usage. Some things are easier to do with the GUI, some are easier to do with the CLI. For example if I'm sorting through hundreds of family photos and looking for one that has a picture of a dog in it I'm going to scan with the GUI. On the other hand if I need to find every photo created within the past X days and copy them to a specific folder I'm going to use the CLI instead. You get lots of people claiming GUI is better and other stating the CLI is better however they are simply two different tools that both have their own pros and cons. I *could* do everything with the CLI, just like I *could* do (almost) everything with the GUI however thats just making things harder for myself. On the whole though I generally use the CLI at least once a day or so depending on what I'm doing. Despite the constant complaining from linux noobies I think the CLI is great for noobies fixing their computer. I had a friend that recently converted to linux call me the other day because they were getting a package manager error. Synaptic told them run "sudo dpkg***" (can't remember the exact message) and didn't know what to do. I told them the computer was asking them to run that command in the CLI and to simply pull up the terminal, then copy and paste the message exactly as stated. They were concerned since they didn't know what the command did, I told them it doesn't matter because the computer knows what it means and simply needs them to do this in order to fix itself. Of course upon doing it they were able to update synaptic without any issues and their system is fine again. I've found this to be true many times fixing linux computers, if you look at the forums you will often see "copy and paste the following command into the terminal" because it's easier then saying "click here, find this button, scroll down, click that" with the GUI. Sure people may not know what the commmand they're typing in is but these same people also usually don't really understand what buttons they're pressing in the GUI either.
    Last edited by donkyhotay; April 28th, 2010 at 06:47 PM.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234