Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: no x? am i alone?

Beans

Re: no x? am i alone?

I am familiar with both and I see nothing wrong with using no X if you do what you want better without it. Personally I became familiar with some common tasks on the CLI just in case, and it has come in handy .

I just use a hybrid gnome-shell with guake, which looks and works great. : )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by daweefolk View Post
    does anyone else use linux in console only and find all cli programs because they are faster than gui programs and because you type faster than you can move a mouse?
    I have in the past, but only on an extra box for a home server. I do a lot of things through command line, but still use a full DE.

Are you using this console only computer as your main box? If so, I find it hard to believe. Although you can get by on it, it just isn't practical for a lot of stuff, such as web browsing.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

my proxy server have no x installed. using ubuntu 8.04 server. i did most of my editing with "nano".

proxy settings are setup through webmin. samba file sharing is also setup in webmin.

No X for me.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: no x? am i alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinabus View Post
    Some of us enjoy using our computers for leisure which would include, for me at least, video and video games. Can't have video without video...
    Well actually you can. MPlayer can play videos in a virtual terminal. You don't need X for that.

I can mostly do without X when need be (and sometimes I prefer it that way) but web browsing without CSS or javascript support is pretty hard nowadays. Someone needs to make a UI for the gecko rendering engine that runs in framebuffer mode. Then I wouldn't really need X for anything any more.

K.Mandla, you're my hero.
    Eternally confused.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinabus View Post
    Some of us enjoy using our computers for leisure which would include, for me at least, video and video games. Can't have video without video...
    What's wrong with mplayer -vo fbdev2
    works perfectly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've been using ALSA mixer lately because it starts a lot faster than most mixers, and I can use my keyboard which I find easier than dragging things with the mouse.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    No X for me.
    Lol. Everyone knows about you, K Mandla. Awesome blog btw.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Most of my machines have no X, but then most of them are headless servers.

I could do most of what I do on a computer without X, but the one thing I really like about X is being able to have multiple terminals onscreen at the same time, so I don't have to toggle back and forth between two different virtual screens or such.

With the high resolution displays I have now, I can either have a bunch of standard terminal windows open all connected to something different, or I can have one or two LARGE terminal windows with lots of rows/columns.

Perhaps it's possible now to do that non-GUI, but the last time I tried running high-res textmode the results were hard to look at for any length of time to me - and it still wouldn't let me have multiple terminals open on one screen. (Perhaps there's some variation on the old CLI desktop manager available? Never really looked into it.)

Beans

i currently have the ubuntu minimal installed on my laptop and i love it. so fast its ridiculous too. i havent swapped a single time. topped out at 5% ram. who knows some good cli games besides nethack?
    Last edited by daweefolk; May 2nd, 2010 at 02:23 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123