Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.04 LTS RC: Blank Screen at startup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: 10.04 LTS RC: Blank Screen at startup

Quote Originally Posted by brucewagner View Post
    SORRY GUYS! THIS IS WRONG!

For a newbie, you must say, "Hold down the left Shift key during boot to get the Grub bootloader menu."
    Yes, you are correct.....
    ...and, no, you are incorrect.

It depends on your setup. What was seemingly "wrong" for you, is in fact very "right" for someone else.

So we all just have to be willing to admit that something that seems "guaranteed" to work, because it worked for us, might not work for someone else with a slightly different setup. That is because very few of us are seeing the whole picture. (The classic seven blind guys describing an elephant parable comes to mind.)

Incidentally, here's a link to a thread where a "solution" is proposed to the "not having a bootable CD for six months" problem. You might find it interesting,... or not: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1472223
    Last edited by twrock; May 18th, 2010 at 08:07 AM.
    Registered Ubuntu User: #10828

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by twrock View Post
    So we all just have to be willing to admit that something that seems "guaranteed" to work, because it worked for us, might not work for someone else with a slightly different setup. That is because very few of us are seeing the whole picture. (The classic seven blind guys describing an elephant parable comes to mind.)
    That is so true. ...and humorous at the same time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Covarrubias View Post
    I have an ATI 5770 and my monitor have a native resolution of 1920x1080 and can´t boot liveCD because after the orange dots at boot i get a black screen and can´t do anything from here.

¿someone with the same configuration can boot Lucid Lynx LiveCD?

For what i have read i think folks with Nvidia and Intel graphics can do (with tricks) but not ATI´s folks.
    My Live cd ran fine from usb via unetbootin when I tried another dvi port on my 5870 eyf6. I hope this helps.

Beans

On clean install of 10.04 x86_64 no problems

Installing nvidia drivers no problems

Every second or 3rd start up i get black screen log on rebooting usually fixes this

Some of you are using intel others amd some ati others nvidia yet all having problems is it really a graphics thing ?

Apparently not after another clean install and no nvidia drivers i get the same problem

Clean install added grub2

Changing grub like suggested still made no difference

Its a minor inconvenience yet consistent with everyone i know who has tried 10.04 from either an upgrade or clean install.

Very disappointing bug for an LTS release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi everybody. Pls help me.
    i got the nvidia 9200gs
    i make sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    change as this thread says to nomodeset
    sudo update-grub
    i make the blacklist.
    change to nvidia-current.
    i am still taking a black screen.

Beans

On my ATI 5770 it turned out to be which DVI port I was plugged into. However, I had to switch ports and then REBOOT to get a picture, I didn't have a picture until after reboot.

Beans

how to get past this blank screen....using nvidia 9600 card

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

see post number 14 in this thread

Beans

Just a note from my personal experience with 10.04 clean install and a Nvidia 6150 integrated graphics chip...

The "nomodeset" startup option simply did not work for me. Only the "xforcevesa" option permitted continuing on to use the graphical installer, albeit at reduced resolution. After completing the initial install I was eventually able to get the latest Nvidia Current drivers(195) and can now mostly boot into a full resolution gui.

However, even now, booting into a full resolution gui is hit or miss. Maybe every third time I boot the gui fails to launch and I am left at a cmd line login prompt. I had an instance of rebooting 4 times in a row with X failing to start yet the 5th time it did. I'm not at all clear why it will fail a certain percentage of the time with no changes happening in between. Some sort of weird hardware/software timing issue perhaps?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think it is something to do with X. I have issues with both the nvidia card and the intel graphics in my eeepc 1000H. However my blank screen boot rate is about 5-10 %; I have to Ctrl Alt Del to reboot the pc and usually get a display after that.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast