Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: 10.04 LTS RC: Blank Screen at startup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: 10.04 LTS RC: Blank Screen at startup

Quote Originally Posted by tgrigsby View Post
    I gave up trying to install 10.4 on my Inspiron 8100. As I write this, I'm installing 9.10. When installing 10, I would get the same screen you say (I think the star is a little person in a circle, but I didn't recognize the other symbol). I would press the arrow keys to get a language menu, escape to go back, select "Install Ubuntu", and then watch the screen go blank. And not just blank; it would go white and then fade out toward the edges. Not a cool fade, more like a graphics-chip-freaked-out fade. And that was the last thing I saw. I could tell from messing with keys and watching the disk light that things were still happening in the background, but nothing more.

Okay, so now I'm finishing up the 9.10 install, and it looks fine. I know that if I go into the upgrade manager it will upgrade me to 10, and that worked fine before (this is a reinstall with a new SSD HD).

If Ubuntu is slacking on older hardware support, that would be a Bad Thing. I rely on the various flavors of Linux to power hardware that Microsoft has forgotten, and to do it better than Windows ever could. I figure I'm not alone in this.

Okay, the install finished, I'm rebooted, and Ubuntu is waiting for me to come and play. Good luck with your machine!
    I gave up trying also but it isn't just a Ubuntu problem. I tried fedora 13 and it has the same problem. Maybe it's something with the new kernel? I ended up installing Debian.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey77 View Post
    To edit Grub I have to hold shift and keep pressing escape during boot. If I just hold shift Grub quickly flashes on the screen then goes to the Ubuntu Splash screen then to the blank screen.
    Don't press shift from the beginning. Wait until POST has ended and then press shift until you get the Grub menu.

Beans

I'm having this problem. I've never installed Ubuntu before and have found myself lost reading this thread.

I have no idea what the Grub menu is or when to hold down shift in order to enter it.

I do know that when I attempt to click F6 on the initial menu, nothing happens. I tab to advanced options and there's nothing there.

What am I doing wrong?

I have a Dell D400 Latitude.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
    I'm having this problem. I've never installed Ubuntu before and have found myself lost reading this thread.

I have no idea what the Grub menu is or when to hold down shift in order to enter it.

I do know that when I attempt to click F6 on the initial menu, nothing happens. I tab to advanced options and there's nothing there.

What am I doing wrong?

I have a Dell D400 Latitude.
    GRUB is the menu that some systems give to the user to choose which operating system to run. When you boot your machine, it will go through a sequence called POST. some machines show all the details, others give you a splash screen with a logo of some kind. there will be a period where you have a message sayimg "Press DEL" (or F1 or F6) to enter setup. once that message disappears, press and hold down the left shift key.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a dual core AMD64 processor with NVIDIA card.

I installed 10.04 from CD (having checked MDSUM etc etc) and it was lovely.

After a few weeks I started getting 'funny things' happening on boot up - essentially the monitor would be 'on' but screen blank.

Then I had a situation whereby it would boot up, I'd hear the drum roll, but the monitor would be 'asleep' or in no-input mode, so again, blank.

NOW even when I try to boot the screen does nothing. I can't even see the GRUB screens etc. on boot up. I no longer hear the drum roll. It's almost as if when I try to start the machine it goes immediately into some sort of hibernate or suspend mode.

This seems like a total disaster to me - i can't even re-install 8.04 which worked fine.

ANY IDEAS??????

(like others, this problem has really dented my enthusiasm for Ubuntu - up to now I have raved about it to everyone. It does seem a pity.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrchumpley View Post
    I have a dual core AMD64 processor with NVIDIA card.

I installed 10.04 from CD (having checked MDSUM etc etc) and it was lovely.

After a few weeks I started getting 'funny things' happening on boot up - essentially the monitor would be 'on' but screen blank.

Then I had a situation whereby it would boot up, I'd hear the drum roll, but the monitor would be 'asleep' or in no-input mode, so again, blank.

NOW even when I try to boot the screen does nothing. I can't even see the GRUB screens etc. on boot up. I no longer hear the drum roll. It's almost as if when I try to start the machine it goes immediately into some sort of hibernate or suspend mode.

This seems like a total disaster to me - i can't even re-install 8.04 which worked fine.

ANY IDEAS??????

(like others, this problem has really dented my enthusiasm for Ubuntu - up to now I have raved about it to everyone. It does seem a pity.)
    Actually sounds like a hardware problem to me. Try booting the LiveCD or a Windows CD to see if you can get into a different OS. Also see if you can access your BIOS settings.

Beans

Hi
    I've had this this problem for weeks and finally found a link to a site with the right solution to my boot up issues for my video card on a Toshiba NB200 running a GMA 950.

I successfully installed from USB stick but had to continually press shift to get the thing to boot.

Here is the link to the solution. Thanks to everyone for all the very useful posts on this issue. I'm a noob and have no bloody idea about computers or Linux commands and I've learnt a lot from this. Big shout to everyone.

http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2010...ricted-driver/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Manganic View Post
    GRUB is the menu that some systems give to the user to choose which operating system to run. When you boot your machine, it will go through a sequence called POST. some machines show all the details, others give you a splash screen with a logo of some kind. there will be a period where you have a message sayimg "Press DEL" (or F1 or F6) to enter setup. once that message disappears, press and hold down the left shift key.
    I don't have that screen.

I have my BIOS screen where I click F12 to get to boot options.
    I have my boot options screen where I choose to boot from USB.
    And then I have the Ubuntu splash screen with the dots.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm getting the same screen as described previously (purple with two small icons). When I press F6, I then choose 'install' but nothing happens.

I'm trying to install this on a Dell Latitude D620 that is four years old. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what to do. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by myles.tonnies View Post
    Just a tid bit for new users. To access the GRUB menu after an install, hold down the SHIFT Key. Then follow the instructions in post 14.

Cheers
    This is the most useful item in this whole post!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast