Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.04 LTS RC: Blank Screen at startup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Smile Re: 10.04 LTS RC: Blank Screen at startup

Quote Originally Posted by twrock View Post
    Yes, it does work. I've been working on this all day. I just got done reinstalling to see what the truly necessary steps would be for a fresh install on my Dell 700m.

If I add "i915.modeset=1" to the the boot from a USB stick (I suppose CD will be the same), I then end up at the error screen "Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode". I clicked OK, then "Troubleshoot the error" then "Edit configuration", then edited "vesa" to "intel". Then I "closed", "cancelled" and the hit "Restart X". That got me into live mode with full screen support. Once there, I installed as usual.

After reboot, I hit "e" at the GRUB screen, and added "i915.modeset=1" at the end of the line with "quiet splash". Then hit Ctrl-X to finish booting. It all went off without a hitch.

So now I will edit my GRUB configuration to make it permanent, and everything will be done.

I'll leave what I wrote above, because maybe something there will be useful for some other hardware. But for the Dell 700m, it is that simple.
    well done!!
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 10.04 LTS RC: Blank Screen at startup

Quote Originally Posted by twrock View Post
    Yes, it does work. I've been working on this all day. I just got done reinstalling to see what the truly necessary steps would be for a fresh install on my Dell 700m.

If I add "i915.modeset=1" to the the boot from a USB stick (I suppose CD will be the same), I then end up at the error screen "Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode". I clicked OK, then "Troubleshoot the error" then "Edit configuration", then edited "vesa" to "intel". Then I "closed", "cancelled" and the hit "Restart X". That got me into live mode with full screen support. Once there, I installed as usual.

After reboot, I hit "e" at the GRUB screen, and added "i915.modeset=1" at the end of the line with "quiet splash". Then hit Ctrl-X to finish booting. It all went off without a hitch.

So now I will edit my GRUB configuration to make it permanent, and everything will be done.

I'll leave what I wrote above, because maybe something there will be useful for some other hardware. But for the Dell 700m, it is that simple.
    Thank you!

I didn't get the error screen about running in low graphics mode that you encountered, but everything else is as you described.

My Dell Latitude D400 is running 10.04 Lucid Lynx now.
    And I am also able to boot into Windows XP from grub. Whew! Was worried that that broke.
    Dell Precision M6300 laptop - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    IBM Thinkpad 600E laptop - Puppy Linux 4.3.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thnx nucleuskore this is working for me too (Nvidia 7040 integrated graphics)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee23 View Post
    Exactly same issue here - installed no problem on my Nvidia containing laptop. Using a HDMI connection for the visuals.

My specs are in my signature. Must be an ATI problem. Hopefully they will sort it for the full release later this week!!!
    Mine is the opposite. No problem in my laptop with ATI HD3200, while the screen went blank for my desktop with NVIDIA 9600GT.

Beans

Well I've resorted to keeping Windows 7 on my desktop and installed Ubuntu on my laptop. 9.10 works great on my laptop, however 10.04LTS does not. I have multiple issues, mostly to do with my wireless.

Beans

Thanks everyone for the tips. Though if someone could help me clarify a few things I am not as technically minded.

GRUB?

I have managed to work through these steps

1. When you see the purple box with the little keyboard and person, hit a key to enter options.
    2. Choose your language.
    3. Verify you have chosen "Try Ubuntu without any changes."
    4. Press F6.
    5. Press Esc to get out of the menu that pops up.
    6. Go to the end of the commandline (with arrow keys if necessary) and type: "i915.modeset=0 xforcevesa" (no quotes; that is a zero, not a capital O; I also was able to boot without "xforcevesa" at the end).
    7. Hit Enter and pray hard.

but when I get to the suggestions about
    • On first boot after install, press e on getting the GRUB bootloader.
    • Using arrow keys navigate to and delete quiet and splash and type the word nomodeset in their place
    • Press Ctrl and X to boot
    • You should now be able to login to your Ubuntu as usual

Can someone explain those steps in a little more detail for someone who is ignorant on computers. thanks

I have a Dell 700m Insperon

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DougRM View Post
    but when I get to the suggestions about
    • On first boot after install, press e on getting the GRUB bootloader.
    • Using arrow keys navigate to and delete quiet and splash and type the word nomodeset in their place
    • Press Ctrl and X to boot
    • You should now be able to login to your Ubuntu as usual

Can someone explain those steps in a little more detail for someone who is ignorant on computers. thanks

I have a Dell 700m Insperon
    The instructions are pretty self-explanatory. I don't know how they can be any clearer short of doing a video, and I don't plan on doing that.
    There is a typo in #6. It should be i915.modeset=1

I am not sure why you are wanting to type nomodeset. That won't work for your Dell. You are confusing two different solutions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Dell 710m, same issue...

Fixed it thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
    The instructions are pretty self-explanatory. I don't know how they can be any clearer short of doing a video, and I don't plan on doing that.
    There is a typo in #6. It should be i915.modeset=1

I am not sure why you are wanting to type nomodeset. That won't work for your Dell. You are confusing two different solutions.
    actually...

to a n00b,
    no , they really aren't that self explanatory.

Ive got my lucid working now finally (for the most part)..

and I do understand most of the instructions I am given to fix things...
    and i dont quite understand that myself.

I think there would be a way to explain it easier for a n00b...
    and i dont think telling the ' Its pretty self explanatory" instead of actually making (or trying) to make it easier for them.. is much help.

thanks anyway though.
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa1111 View Post
    actually...

to a n00b,
    no , they really aren't that self explanatory.

Ive got my lucid working now finally (for the most part)..

and I do understand most of the instructions I am given to fix things...
    and i dont quite understand that myself.

I think there would be a way to explain it easier for a n00b...
    and i dont think telling the ' Its pretty self explanatory" instead of actually making (or trying) to make it easier for them.. is much help.

thanks anyway though.
    I can't think of how to make it any easier with words. A video would be helpful or a step by step instruction with pictures would be helpful. Maybe you or someone would want to make one and put it up on Youtube.

I thought twrock did an excellent job, and because of that, I have a working Lucid Lynx on my D400.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast