Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: 10.04 LTS RC: Blank Screen at startup

Beans

Re: 10.04 LTS RC: Blank Screen at startup

Hey there,

I didn't see any post similar to this as a solution (nor did i read all 12 pages) but i figured i would throw it out there. I am running:

AMD Phenom II x4 955
    4gig DDR3 Ram
    Asus M4A78TD-V Evo
    Xfx Radeon HD 5670

Every time i tried to install ubuntu 10.04.1 64bit, through Wubi or other, i was having the same black screen problems. I decided to pull the video card (which is only DVI/HDMI, no VGA support) out and attach my monitor to the on-board VGA. After doing so i was able to load ubuntu and finish installation. Afterword i installed the suggested ATI graphics driver (the proprietary one) and restarted computer. After restart i shut down and reinstalled the video card, booted just fine. I am yet to have any issues or to have used it much, other than to do updates and jump on the net for a bit. Going to look into the capabilities of the card with the driver as well as try to force some bugs out of the wood work. I installed it via Wubi on a 17g partition in Win7 64 bit and am testing to make sure it will work fully before i buy a second HD to toss in and dual boot.

Cheers!

Beans

I'm tired of reading posts just to be able to use Ubuntu 10.4 with my new ATI4850. I have been using on-board nVidea with proprietary driver since 10.4 upgrade. I pop in the new ATI4850 and now loose the screen prior to the log-in prompt, I think. I'm not for sure because the screen goes blank. After considerable searching and reading I ended up at this relatively old post. After skimming through this thread I gather I may have to try one or more of the fixes in this thread. Does anyone know if I can get this fixed by going into the setup screen (left shift after post) as described and install an ATI proprietary driver to get this working again? What I am asking is can I gain access to the system or a terminal prompt in that way and run Linux commands. And yes it's all still new to me! I've been able to navigate well in the graphical interface but have never had to try to access the system from a shell prior to logging in at the GUI. Sorry for bumping this old of a thread but I'm really tired of reading novels just because I changed video cards.

Beans

Now I feel really dumb. I figured out you can boot in safe mode and install new drivers from there. It was my own fault for not addressing the driver issue prior to installing the new card. I guess I figured the system should be smart enough to figure this out on it's own, kind of like Windows, ouch! It's in the process of installing the FGLRX driver now, hope it works! Anyone know if the Open Source Radeon driver would be a better choice for this card?

Beans

Hello all

Just a quick note in the hope this may help someone out ... After reading everything I could find on the subject nothing seemed to help so these are the steps taken to rectify my issue. Please follow the steps EXACTLY (Yes turning the 2nd monitor really did help!)

**Machine
    - Dell Optiplex GX270 Desktop with an Nvidia card GFORCE FX 5200 with two monitors connected via DVI.

**Problem 1
    With the live CD of Ubuntu 10.4LTS a black screen was displayed
    From this post I used "At install screen press F6 and select nomodeset and install Ubuntu as usual."

**Problem 2
    After installing from Live CD a black screen was displayed on both monitors
    Turn off one of the monitors! (Yes really otherwise the GRUB screen cannot be edited)

At the grub screen (This is the text based screen where the operating system can be selected)
    If you have not seen this before as Linux is the only OS you have loaded press F6 as SOON as the machine boots and there it is ..

From this post again I used "On first boot after install, press e on getting the GRUB bootloader. Using arrow keys navigate to and delete quiet and splash and type the word nomodeset in their place Press Ctrl and X to boot"

In my case this didn't work so after much reading I deleted "quiet splash" including the extra space to "ro" and then entered "nomodeset xforcevesa" I'm sorry but I can't find where I found reference to using xforcevesa for Nvidia cards ..

Now the monitor should come to life with the 10.4 Login screen

On the top bar under System -> Administration -> Hardware drivers
    Linux will now search for the correct drivers for the video card
    I used the Recommended NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 173)
    After driver installation the machine needs to be restarted
    NOW turn on the second monitor if you have one

May I suggest that the system is now updated using System -> Administration -> Update Manager

Thank you very much to everyone that helped in this issue
    Hopefully this may help
    Miles

Beans

Thanks nucleuskore

You helped me a lot !

Thanks

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213