Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why not create an OPEN SOURCE LAPTOP HARDWARE?

Beans

Re: Why not create an OPEN SOURCE LAPTOP HARDWARE?

what does anyone know about this? http://www.viaopenbook.com/

i think it sounds very promising and i hope the best for it!

-andy

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

It is a reference design that is registered under creative commons. VIA did this with the original Nanobook so it would allow for clones at low cost for vendors, which would then increase orders for their hardware so VIA could make money.

VIA doesn't actual sell it as a consumer product, but rather encourages vendors to use the design so they do not have to come up with something on their own. The original was kind of a disaster and didnt work very well for the most part mostly due to graphics issues and sluggish performance compared to similarly price Intel units.

Openchrome has come a good ways since the first effort so maybe the end product would be pretty good, assuming no one associates it with the original.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Theres the Open Pandora. It aims to be somewhat what the OP suggested, although it's more a handheld gaming device than a fullblown laptop. That, and it's still not shipping. http://www.open-pandora.org/

Besides that, building a complete opensource laptop is not feasible for a lot of reasons. System76 is, as mentioned earlier in this thread a good alternative, as it's guaranteed to work with Ubuntu.

Beans

really opened my view now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm not sure if this fits your criteria, but I've been looking at "ZaReason". http://zareason.com/
    Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Zareason is a smaller competitor to System76, the hardware is not open source just like System76. However like System76 and select preloaded Dells there is comprehensive driver support that should, in theory make set up easier.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by djhvt View Post
    Zareason is a smaller competitor to System76, the hardware is not open source just like System76. However like System76 and select preloaded Dells there is comprehensive driver support that should, in theory make set up easier.
    Can you explain on what basis you are making this statement that System76 has open source hardware and ZaReason does not?

I couldn't find statements on either's website verifying or refuting what you said.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thats not what i said actually:
    "Zareason is a smaller competitor to System76, the hardware is not open source just like System76."

As other have pointed out it would be nearly impossible to develop and open-source hardware set for a laptop as so much of the form factor has been copyrighted. As i stated before the closest I have seen is the Touchbook which is based on the Beagalboard.
    Last edited by djhvt; July 22nd, 2010 at 11:19 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12