Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Say goodbye to the 3.5 inch floppy disk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Say goodbye to the 3.5 inch floppy disk

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Did they actually send a record player as well? The aliens might not realise that you're meant to put a needle on it and spin it a particular direction and speed, and convert the motion of the needle to sound.
    Or, aliens might not use vibrations in gas pressure as a means of communication. Or, aliens might use the entire probe as nutrient, not even realising its significance. Or, they might just consider it a piece of useless space debris and disregard it.

If you take all of the assumptions the designers of the message did - which is basically that the probe will be intercepted by a technologically advanced civilisation that sees in roughly the same EM spectrum we do, uses some kind of writing system, is familiar with basic math and uses some form of audible communication - it stands to reason they'd also be able to decipher the message that tells them how to listen to the record.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    Many musical synth systems use floppy disks for saving sequence files. They are starting to move toward using usb sticks but if you like the sound of an instrument you willjust have to put up with using a floppy.
    I thought they moved to SMC Cards first, that trend died terribly quickly ... then later SD Cards, or was it MMC...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I used floppies at my old job to upgrade BIOS on older dell's all the time...I might wanna stock up
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS / E6750 @ 3.52GHz / Zalman 9500 / GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L / Mushkin Silver/Blackline 4GB DDR2800 / MSI 8600GT GPU / OCZ 120GB SSD / Antec P180B
    Ubuntu User 31267

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456