Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Say goodbye to the 3.5 inch floppy disk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Say goodbye to the 3.5 inch floppy disk

Did they actually send a record player as well? The aliens might not realise that you're meant to put a needle on it and spin it a particular direction and speed, and convert the motion of the needle to sound.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Did they actually send a record player as well? The aliens might not realise that you're meant to put a needle on it and spin it a particular direction and speed, and convert the motion of the needle to sound.
    Let alone we are ignoring the whole notion that alien life may not have ears to listen to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ibuclaw View Post
    Let alone we are ignoring the whole notion that alien life may not have ears to listen to it.
    or even hear at the same frequencies we do

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The CNC machines at my college still rely on floppy disks to transfer the NC code from computers to the CNC machines. They can't use USB because the machines run Win 95.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Then it must be Win95A, not B - how retro.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wasn't USB support on any version of Windows 95 spotty at best? *shudder*
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Wasn't USB support on any version of Windows 95 spotty at best? *shudder*
    Not sure myself, however I know USB-2.0 wasn't supported until WinXP arrived. And Win98 and prior is missing quite a lot of what we now regard as "generic" drivers (ie: for USB hard drives, etc).

Linux is the only Operating System to support USB-3.0 devices last time I checked earlier this year, but I don't honestly keep track of what progress others are making.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ibuclaw View Post
    Linux is the only Operating System to support USB-3.0 devices last time I checked earlier this year, but I don't honestly keep track of what progress others are making.
    Linux may have native support in the kernel, but in windows I think you just have to install a driver for you usb 3.0 card. Thats not so terrible.

Beans

Many musical synth systems use floppy disks for saving sequence files. They are starting to move toward using usb sticks but if you like the sound of an instrument you willjust have to put up with using a floppy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    Linux may have native support in the kernel, but in windows I think you just have to install a driver for you usb 3.0 card. Thats not so terrible.
    It's a waste; it means that you have to have a USB 2.0 controller and some USB 2.0-only ports PLUS your USB 3.0 controller and ports.

Linux users don't need that cowdung, but we're still stuck with having to buy computers that are more expensive due to duplicated USB functionality, and we also have to put up with having only two fast USB ports. That is, until Windows 8 comes with native USB 3 support.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast