View Poll Results: Should Canonical devote more developers, time and resources to Kubuntu?

Voters
255. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Canonical should devote more developers/time and resources to Kubuntu.

104 40.78%
  • No, Gnome is and should be Canonical's focus.

101 39.61%
  • Definitely, Kubuntu isn't living up to its potential.

53 20.78%
  • No, I like Kubuntu the way it is and/or am not significantly affected by bugs or usability issues.

16 6.27%
  • No, people who want to use KDE should go use Mandriva, openSUSE, Arch, etc.

31 12.16%
  • No, there's simply not enough resources to go around and Gnome deserves priority.

53 20.78%
  • Other. Please explain in a reply below.

15 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical needs to devote more developers, time and resources to Kubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Canonical needs to devote more developers, time and resources to Kubuntu

Why isn't KDE in the main repository? Such an important software shouldn't be in the community section.

Canonical should consider switching to KDE as the default DE. It's hard to image that the next Ubuntu release will be shipping with Gnome Shell which requires 3D support, doesn't support Desktop effects (compiz) and has a completely new UX.
    iplist

"Specialization is for Insects", R. Heinlein

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Indeed, God help them for wanting to try something different. Who wants to try new things, when we could just update the same old programs for the next 20 years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by uljanow View Post

Canonical should consider switching to KDE as the default DE. It's hard to image that the next Ubuntu release will be shipping with Gnome Shell which requires 3D support, doesn't support Desktop effects (compiz) and has a completely new UX.
    1. Canonical should? What if I tell you what YOU should do?
    2. Please check before spreading FUD on Gnome Shell, you will sound more reasonable:
    http://live.gnome.org/GNOME3Myths

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatan View Post
    1. Canonical should? What if I tell you what YOU should do?
    2. Please check before spreading FUD on Gnome Shell, you will sound more reasonable:
    http://live.gnome.org/GNOME3Myths
    That's factually accurate. You SHOULD check it out yourself.
    iplist

"Specialization is for Insects", R. Heinlein

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I checked "Other" out of ignorance. It's a really a vote for "I dunno."

But it seems to me that Xubuntu is the more likely "blue-headed step child" of Canonical. I find it curiously odd that Canonical's ShipIt service offers Ubuntu and Kubuntu CDs, but not Xubuntu CDs. They had to make their own separate arrangements with another vendor (On-Disk.com).

My question is motivated only curiosity about the relationship between the 'buntus and Canonical, not in any sense of "what canonical should do."

Just wondering,
    Robin

Beans

Canonical doesn't need to do anything. They don't even have to develop Ubuntu if they don't want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I think they should focus mainly on Gnome. I feel supporting multiple spin-offs makes the Gnome version suffer. I have no problem with spin-offs of Ubuntu, I just do not think Canonical should manage and support them. They should only manage/support Desktop/Netbook, and Server editions.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by splicerr View Post
    Only a KDE fanboy would come to that conclusion. The general consensus is that KDE 4 is a buggy pos and a memory hog. Also I don't see the relevance to this forum.
    Gnome fanboy here -- just so you can't call me a KDE fanboy

I believe OP was comparing KDE to Gnome 3. Now considering that Gnome 3 hasn't even had a BETA yet, I'm pretty sure that its not as mature as Gnome (current) or KDE. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

I've used the version of Gnome Shell in the Karmic repos (PPA was always broken for me, I even got a few nasty memory leaks from it ), judging just from it, I'd say that Gnome 3 has a long way to being a mature DE.
    Last edited by MCVenom; April 26th, 2010 at 04:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I voted yes because despite using it myself I hate Gnome for its slowness and ugliness.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Personally, I have never liked KDE. There is just too much "stuff" in the KDE menu. I prefer a simple and uncluttered and uncomplicated user interface. I also use the terminal for all sys admin and software installation tasks. I also even use MPlayer from the terminal to play all my music and video files. So I do not care if "KDE is presently more advanced in terms of overall desktop suite integration, and customization and system configuration capabilities " as the OP said.
    However...
    If Ubuntu (i.e., Canonical) claims to support and develop Kubuntu as well as the obvious flagship (and Mark Shuttleworth favorite) Ubuntu with Gnome, then I would think that they ought to devote as much resources to developing Kubuntu as they do Ubuntu.
    Many first time linux users are just as likely to try Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu. If they have a poor experience with Kubuntu, they may just decide that *buntu in particular (and therefore linux in general) sucks. And they will no doubt tell all of their friends about it.
    So .... the *buntu devs should devote equal resources to Kubuntu as they do Ubuntu. If they claim to support KDE, then they should support it just as well as Gnome.
    Last edited by tommcd; April 26th, 2010 at 05:06 PM.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast