Thread: Keep/move rhythmbox playlists from one distro to another

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Keep/move rhythmbox playlists from one distro to another

Hallo,
    Does anyone know if its possible to keep/move your playlists when u migrate from one ubuntu distro to another?

I have Karmic now and as Lucid is coming out soon i was thinking of giving it a try. I plan on doing a fresh install of Lucid on another harddrive and if i like it i wil use it permanently. I have a lot of playlists in rhythmbox and copying them/ transfering them looks daunting. Is there an easy, or less stressful way other than redoing the playlists?

My music is on a separate partition from /home, i have been using Linux/Ubuntu for a year and am not afraid of the terminal . I've looked through the forums and havent found something i could use.

All help is appreciated.
    Maverick/Lucid/Windows 7/XP: 4GB RAM DDR2 800, Core 2 Quad 2.8Ghz, P45 Intel Chipset, 1GB 9400GT Nvidia card

I have finished playing GTAIV, the need to boot into Windows has expired.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Keep/move rhythmbox playlists from one distro to another

If you leave your /home directory alone when installing, your rhythmbox database, playlists, and settings will stay right where they are. Rhythmbox stores it's config files in ~/.local/share/rhythmbox/

Just make sure that when you are installing, you choose to use your /home directory as ext4 on /home/, but DO NOT format it (double check this at the final screen, too).

Beans
    Distro

Thanx a lot,i will give that a try. I knew that the /home partition could be maintained, i hope i can do it when the time comes. I will make sure i wont format it.
    Maverick/Lucid/Windows 7/XP: 4GB RAM DDR2 800, Core 2 Quad 2.8Ghz, P45 Intel Chipset, 1GB 9400GT Nvidia card

I have finished playing GTAIV, the need to boot into Windows has expired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

In Rhythmbox, you can select each playlist and save as an m3u file. Put it on a flash stick, sd card, any external drive. When you do your fresh install, Rhythmbox can import your playlists.