Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Btrfs to kill zsf and ext4 filesystems

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Btrfs to kill zsf and ext4 filesystems

tainted with the baggage associated with the murder, personal pride and interpersonal frictions killed any significant desire to prove the system amd mainstream it into the kernel. From what I read.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gone fishing View Post
    Or a murder case http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser - but reiser was a well respected file system presumably GPL so why was it not forked?
    It was/is maintained by others, the truth is it wasn't just the politics tho the fs didn't do things the kernel way and required a lot of changes, reiser himself didn't help matters by not coperating much with the people trying to review the code, plus the plugin system while amazing was also thought to be a backdoor to so reiser's company could sell proprietary plugins.

you can get reiser4 patches for 2.6.23-2.6.33 here

edit: did -> didn't
    Last edited by Xbehave; April 25th, 2010 at 06:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[Reiser4]fs did do things the kernel way
    Is there a non too technical way of explaining this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gone fishing View Post
    Is there a non too technical way of explaining this?
    Im not a kernel hacker, all my knowledge comes from blogs/etc, here are a few links that may explain my POV (i know this is a bit of a cop out but anything else is in effect just going to be reposting these anyway)

Style
    most of my customers remark that Namesys code is head and shoulders above the rest of the kernel code. So yes, it is different." Alan Cox [interview] replied that while the kernel coding style isn't his own style, he tries to follow it when working on the kernel, "one big reason we jump up and down so much about the coding style is that its the one thing that ensures someone else can maintain and fix code that the author has abandoned, doesn't have time to fix or that needs access to specific hardware the authors may not have."
    Pluggins
    Politcs
    "What happened later on" is that the reiser3 developers moved on to reiser4; not only did they stop maintaining the code, but they actively opposed updates made to the code by other developers. At this point, reiser3 is almost entirely maintained by non-Namesys developers. In the future, the same thing may well happen with reiser4.
    General info (more technical counter point by reiser)
    Last edited by Xbehave; April 25th, 2010 at 06:16 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12