Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Configuring A Wacom Tablet In Lucid Lynx (i.e., Area)

Beans

Re: Configuring A Wacom Tablet In Lucid Lynx (i.e., Area)

I hope this is the right place to post this.
    My Wacom Bamboo Fun CTE-450 worked out of the box. The only thing I don't understand is how to get the 4 key function and the scroll ring to work.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Sawer,

Scroll wheel and strips just got added to xf86-input-wacom. So you may need to update it along with the wacom.ko. Then you'll need an xsetwacom script. I don't have one for the old Bamboos yet, but should be easy. For updating and sample .xsetwacom.sh's see the Bamboo P&T.

Beans

Oh dear. My USB Bamboo CTH 640 used to work, I think, for several months, a year ago, and I had help getting this far. Now I'm in need of it again, but I have to admit that I pretty much forgot everything about how I got it to work.

And now I am looking at this incredible wall of text. The mini how-to is so big, and even that still seems to try and explain everything it does, along the way, or describe what will happen, I'm completely demotivated just looking at it. My own fault, I guess. Maybe I'm a little spoiled, but I am desperately looking for "Just make it work right now!"-Button. I would've thought a disto like Ubuntu would've arrived there, by now. Guess I was wrong.

My sincere apologies. Normally I'm quite adept with bash, compiling, and fiddling around with technical issues, but looking at this, -again-, I can't even force myself to. It's just too much right now. I'll check back in a couple of weeks if I can muster up the willpower to do all this ... again.

Again, I'm sorry. Don't think of this as complaining, please. I admire your hard work and the help and support you have given.

PS: Strike that. All good. Thank you, Favux!
    Last edited by Jammet2; November 9th, 2010 at 08:02 PM.

Beans

I've been happy that my older serial Wacom ArtzII tablet works with various versions of Ubuntu (tweaking neccesary). So, hopefully somebody can give me some insight on getting it to work with 10.04 Lucid. Here is the story:

In Karmic, I had the tablet/stylus/eraser working through a Keyspan serial->USB adapter, and the following lines in my xorg.conf:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Driver		"wacom"
    	Identifier	"stylus"
    	Option		"Device"	"/dev/ttyUSB0"
    	Option		"Type"		"stylus"
    	Option          "USB"           "on"                  #USB ONLY
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Driver		"wacom"
    	Identifier	"eraser"
    	Option		"Type"		"eraser"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Driver		"wacom"
    	Identifier	"cursor"
    	Option		"Type"		"cursor"
    EndSection
    and in the server layout section:
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"
    	Screen		"Default Screen"
    	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
    	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
    	InputDevice     "stylus"	"SendCoreEvents"
    	InputDevice     "cursor"	"SendCoreEvents"
    	InputDevice     "eraser"	"SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection
    Since I've upgraded, the new xorg.conf written by the update manager reads, for those sections:
    Code:
    # commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used and auto-detects devices
    # Keyboard settings are now read from /etc/default/console-setup
    #Section "InputDevice"
    #	Driver		"wacom"
    #	Identifier	"stylus"
    #	Option		"Device"	"/dev/ttyUSB0"
    #	Option		"Type"		"stylus"
    #	Option          "USB"           "on"                  #USB ONLY
    #EndSection
    and so on for the rest of the wacom devices, and at the end
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"
    	Screen		"Default Screen"
    #	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
    #	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
    #	InputDevice     "stylus"	"SendCoreEvents"
    ...<etc>...
    EndSection
    So, I read around, and tried updating /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-wacom.conf but the format seems different and I'm having no luck. I tried changing
    Code:
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    to
    Code:
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/ttyUSB0"
    but, no luck.

I've also tried using the old xorg.conf; it didn't help.

FWIW, I can still see the tablet responding through wacdump (why was wacom-tools removed as a package? grrr.).

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro

Hi smws,

Starting with Lucid (10.04) Xorg took over the Wacom X driver wacom_drv.so for X servers 1.7 (the Lucid version) and up. The Xorg version is called xf86-input-wacom. They dropped wacdump, xidump, and wacomcpl and rewrote xsetwacom. Also serial tablet (but not serial tablet pc) support was dropped. Serial tablets were dropped due to lack of developer resources, not policy.

Some coders came up with a couple of patches to restore serial tablets to xf86-input-wacom. The second set seems pretty good. Unfortunately the patches only work on xf86-input-wacom 0.10.5 (the Lucid default) and 0.10.6. So you would want to download the 0.10.6 tar. Apply the patches and then compile it.

See the near the top of the linuxwacom HOW TO "Notice for Serial Graphics Tablet Users" for a brief discussion and links.

Your xorg.conf should be good unless you don't have a Wacom tablet mouse. In that case you could remove the cursor section and the cursor line in "ServerLayout". We could try setting up through 10-wacom.conf if you wanted.

Beans

Hello, Favux! Thanks for your quick reply.

I am sorry to hear about dropping support for that stuff, but I completely understand the kinds of priorities that drive decisions like that. Perhaps the community can eventually fill in support.

I had often wondered about the "cursor" section in xorg. I removed it as you suggested.

With the help of a programmer (which I am not) I was able to download source for xf86-input-wacom-0.10.5, apply the patches, and rebuild the package (a process I am documenting for any that follow, should I succeed) but it didn't work. I think the errors I am getting are new errors, however, so that's good. I will list them here, in case people have any ideas. From "less /var/log/Xorg.0.log":
    Code:
    (II) LoadModule: "wacom"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so
    dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so: undefined symbol: gWacomSerialDevice
    (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so
    (II) UnloadModule: "wacom"
    (EE) Failed to load module "wacom" (loader failed, 7)
    and the same several more times
    Last edited by smws; December 28th, 2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: typos

Beans
    Distro

Hi smws,

Looks like you two have gotten pretty far. Nice work.

I don't recognize that error. I don't remember if any one else was using a serial to usb cable. What happens if you add this option:
    Code:
    	Option          "ForceDevice"      "SERIAL"
    below or instead of the usb line?

Some folks are reporting their serial tablet won't initialize unless they run wacdump briefly. That seems to initialize it. If they run wacdump too long it'll segfault. Don't know why this works. They add wacump to a start up script.

Your writing a HOW TO would be a good thing. I've been hoping someone would. I'll try to pull together all of the serial threads dealing with Lucid and Maverick. There's a few more the links don't take you to.

Beans

Hi Favux,

Thanks for your help so far. I did notice that John Tsiombikas, one of the guys who wrote the original patch, was indeed using a serial-to-USB adapter, so I'm hopeful for that reason; after all, he got his tablet to work.

After some installation of packages and wrangling with autogen, there's a new bug showing in Xorg.0.log:
    Code:
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/ttyUSB0"
    (EE) stylus: wcmDeviceTypeKeys unable to ioctl USB key bits.
    I did try setting the USB option both ways and the ForceDevice option. Thinking of things to try next...

Beans
    Distro

You might want to consider downloading the 0.10.6 tar and patching that. Aso are you using the second patch set?

Beans

So, I got it working! Yay. 12-year-old hardware support FTW.

I will have a more detailed post later, but for now I wanted to post the Keyspan USB serial driver kernel patch to add a dummy TIOCGSERIAL ioctl so that the wacom driver works. (*phew*) This is based on John Tsiombikas' PL2303 patch linked from his post. It is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast