Thread: Adobe Reader "read out loud" not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Adobe Reader "read out loud" not working

I have just installed Adobe reader, looking into its Read Out Loud plug-in. I have selected to activate the reader, and it creates a box around the text. Whenever i click on text, i can move the box, but it doesn't read to me. I'm thinking it's because Ubuntu doesn't come with a virtual output device. Can anyone tell me what I need to do?

Thanks
    MegaHost

Beans

Re: Adobe Reader "read out loud" not working

Do you have a working text-to-speech engine?
    Quote Originally Posted by http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Reader/8.0/help.html?content=WS58a04a822e3e50102bd61510979419 5ff-7d15.html
    Read a PDF with Read Out Loud
    Note: The Read Out Loud feature is available for Linux but not for other versions of UNIX.

The Read Out Loud feature reads aloud the text in a PDF, including the text in comments and alternate text descriptions for images and fillable fields. In tagged PDFs, content is read in the order in which it appears in the document’s logical structure tree. In untagged documents, the reading order is inferred, unless a reading order has been specified in the Reading preferences.

Read Out Loud uses the available voices installed on your system. If you have SAPI 4 or SAPI 5 voices installed from text-to-speech or language applications, you can choose them to read your PDFs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have festival on my machine. When I tried to listen to it, I still get no sound. So I tried to make festival my default TTS. I still have nothing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have the same problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiian1der View Post
    I have the same problem.
    I know thread is outdated but since i landed on this page "the feel lucky factor".

Adding solution: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AcrobatHowTo

Enabling Read Out Loud

Adobe Reader has the ability to read text from PDF files out loud to the user.

To enable Read Out Loud in Ubuntu please install the libgnome-speech7 package then run at the Terminal:

sudo /var/lib/dpkg/info/acroread.postinst configure

Open the desired PDF file and click View -> Read Out Loud -> Activate Read Out loud -> View -> Read Out Loud

and then choose either Read This Page Only or Read to End of Document.

Read Out Loud preferences are found by clicking Edit -> Preferences -> Reading

thanks
    czar
    p.s. my keay board seems to be printing 'R' instead of the letter capital 'r' don't know the reason.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thread closed. Please do not post in old threads.