Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Won't Power Up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Computer Won't Power Up

Hi everyone,

A while back I was using my computer playing videogames and it just randomly shut off. Not knowing why it shut off I turned it back on and it worked great. Slowly over time this problem became worse and worse, playing videogames, it would shut off. After it happening a handful of times, found out that my computer was overheating and it was shutting off because of too much heat.

Last week I went to turn my computer on, after it being off all night, and when I hit the power button there was nothing, No fans spinning, no noises, nothing. I hit it a few more times and nothing happened. After sitting and not touching the computer for about 5 minutes, it randomly turned on by its self, booted up and ran like normal.

Today I went to turn the computer on, and when I pushed the button nothing happened, no fans no noises nothing. after checking the connections inside the case and re-seating all the cards I tried again. Nothing. Thinking that it might be the PSU, I plugged in by backup PSU (known working) and hit the power button and no power. Then I removed all of the cards (graphics cards, RAM, HD's, CMOS Battery) and tried hitting the power button agan, still no power, no fans spinning, no noises nothing, with either of my PSU's.

Every so often when I would hit the power button the fans would spin but nothing would show up on the monitor.

I don't know what to try now. My last guess is that when my computer was overheating so much it fried my processor, and thats why it wouldnt turn on.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Computer Won't Power Up

It has been off for over 24 hours... as of right now it is completely cooled off I would say, and still not turning on.

Beans

Is it a laptop or desktop?

Not saying that this is the problem, but I had a power supply that went out and it gave me weird problems.
    I could turn the computer on, the fans would start and everything, but the computer would not boot. Even replaced the motherboard. No help. I did not think it could be the power supply because I still showed power comming through. I replaced the power supply and that was the problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Not a Ubuntu Support Question - Moved to the Hardware Forum
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

This isn't likely, but have you checked it's not the power button module itself that's the problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hekabe View Post
    This isn't likely, but have you checked it's not the power button module itself that's the problem?
    Unlikely, but you can use a screwdriver to connect the jumpers/pins on the mobo to start it up
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro

Check components sensitive to high temperature.

Beans
    Distro

Is it a laptop or desktop?

Not saying that this is the problem, but I had a power supply that went out and it gave me weird problems.
    I could turn the computer on, the fans would start and everything, but the computer would not boot. Even replaced the motherboard. No help. I did not think it could be the power supply because I still showed power comming through. I replaced the power supply and that was the problem.
    It is a desktop. I have tried plugging in my backup power supply, and it is still a no go. Throughout today I tested the one currently in the computer with a different old computer I had just sitting around and it fired up first try. But with HD's or monitor connected to it I dont know if it actually got anywhere.

I have not! That is a good suggestion! Edit: Since I just tested the screwdriver trick I do not believe that it is a problem with the button, since the screwdriver did not make it turn on.

Unlikely, but you can use a screwdriver to connect the jumpers/pins on the mobo to start it up
    Just now tried that, It was a no go.

Check components sensitive to high temperature.
    The component that is most sensitive to heat and the reason I found the computer to be shutting off is the processor... I dont know how to check that tho, since the computer will not turn on.

Still no luck with anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hi Musick Man...

Poor 'puter. I'm sure you've doublechecked the obvious:
    electrical plug is known to work
    power cord is firmly connected to your power supply

Me was thinking the power button too, but that wouldn't explain it shutting off without warning. Me thinks something overheated on the motherboard, which would explain why it won't start at all now

If you have a spare motherboard, i would connect it to your power supply, add some RAM, connect a CD/DVD drive (don't connect the hard drives) and attempt to boot from a Linus liveCD. It if works then your motherboard will need to be replaced, which i believe means a reformat of your drives and a fresh install of the OS.

Good luck,

mardybear

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mardybear View Post
    hi Musick Man...

Poor 'puter. I'm sure you've doublechecked the obvious:
    electrical plug is known to work
    power cord is firmly connected to your power supply

Me was thinking the power button too, but that wouldn't explain it shutting off without warning. Me thinks something overheated on the motherboard, which would explain why it won't start at all now

If you have a spare motherboard, i would connect it to your power supply, add some RAM, connect a CD/DVD drive (don't connect the hard drives) and attempt to boot from a Linus liveCD. It if works then your motherboard will need to be replaced, which i believe means a reformat of your drives and a fresh install of the OS.

Good luck,

mardybear
    I think that it might be the motherboard. I tried a different PSU in the computer that isnt working aand it wouldnt power up. I also have tested the PSU that was currently in the computer with the paperclip technique to see if it would turn on and it turned on just fine. Looks like im in for a new computer I wish I didnt have to. Thankfully black friday is right around the corner!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast