Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm stunned how good KDE is.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I'm stunned how good KDE is.

Every release, I give Kubuntu a quick (very quick) spin before putting Ubuntu on. This time, I'm definitely sticking with Kubuntu. At the start of KDE4, it was very rough round the edges, but it has been getting steadily better. This time round, KDE feels really slick to me. I don't want to go back to Gnome, and I can't even wait for 9.10 to be released. I'm going full time on beta 1 (with frequent backups just in case).

I just wanted to tell everyone how impressed I am. For those who haven't looked at kubuntu recently, I would suggest that this release is a good time to try it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: I'm stunned how good KDE is.

KDE is a great environment but it is much more resource intensive than GNOME, which for some is the turn away (for me it is.) Right now, I'm running lucid in virtualbox on old hardware and KDE moves at a snail's pace.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I prefer Gnome myself. It's just a matter of taste. I have tried KDE many, many times over the years. I just don't seem to think the way the KDE developers do. I've been trying KDE 4 regularly since it was first released. I will read some glowing review of how slick and polished it is, so I install it, vow to really give it a chance, and just never really warm up to it.

I'll stick with Gnome - like I said, just a matter of taste. I'm glad there are these options.

Beans

I have to agree on 'KDE 4 is gettings better', excet I was never fond of Kubuntu. It always seemed more buggy than KDE on some of the other distros.

That being said, I've been playing with KDE in debian sid (currently KDE 4.3.4 I think) and its very good. On my (fairly lowly) dual core its running like a dream. Good enough that I'm thinking of using it full time for this machine, but I'm sticking with Xfce for my older machines (KDE 4 on a pentium 3/866 is painful, Xfce runs very well).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's really good to hear something POSITIVE about Kubuntu for once!

I used it for the first two and half years of my Linux life and thoroughly enjoyed it. I still have it installed on a desktop at home and it works well but has not been fully updated for a while now.

I switched to Ubuntu about eight months ago because I was having some local area network issues and I found Ubuntu more user friendly in this area.

Must give it a further spin as my main desktop. Not bothered about stability as I use Gmail and all my important files are on Dropbox so I can upgrade and break systems to my heart's content! Have been on Lucid since Alpha 2 and it just works.
    Alan

Saddleworth, Manchester (UK).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I tried it out for a few days too. I think Lucid Kubuntu has come a long way and it is starting to run alot better than previous releases. I just can't get used to the settings menu, and all of the different configurations and folders for themes... Otherwise I like it alot. Oh one other thing, and I can't use my nautilus scripts either...
    Last edited by ankspo71; March 23rd, 2010 at 07:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I too have played around with kubuntu 10.04 quite a bit lately. I love how it looks but can't help but feel frustrated while using it. It just doesn't feel as polished and user friendly as ubuntu does.

Beans

I find the look of kde tacky. I still prefer to use gnome with auto hide panels and docky for window management.

I think I will give KDE another chance before 10.04 is released.

Beans

Moved to CC.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kow View Post
    KDE is a great environment but it is much more resource intensive than GNOME, which for some is the turn away (for me it is.) Right now, I'm running lucid in virtualbox on old hardware and KDE moves at a snail's pace.
    People always say that, but I find it to be untrue. It takes as much memory as Gnome does, (300mb give or take) and runs smoothly for me in every aspect. It wasn't always so, I give you that.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast