View Poll Results: Is gThumb better than eog, and should eog be dropped?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • eog is fine and things should stay the way they are

17 24.29%
  • gThumb is superior and there is no need for eog at all

43 61.43%
  • Keep both but maybe prompt the user the first time he/she double-clicks an image file.

5 7.14%
  • gThumb is better but things should stay the way they are (explain).

5 7.14%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which is better? eog or gThumb?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Which is better? eog or gThumb?

I like eog now (since it got the back/next functionality). Simple and goes out of my way,

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMay16
    gThumb is good if you have a whole lot of images to view, like a series of scans from a comic book or something, or a folder full of images you want to view one after the other.
    I find Comix better for comic books. I hear gThumb is quite good for photos, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I new enough at this I really don't have a preferance. However, gThumb & EON don't display multipage tiff images. I have a specific need to open a multipage B&W fax image, delete pages, add text or an image and save for refaxing. I haven't found anything like that yet for Linux. Evince comes close by allowing me to view the fax without any editing function. Efax or J2 messenger (windows based) does this without a hitch. Anyone know of an answer to this problem? It'll put me one more step toward completely eliminating Win$$.
    Last edited by Scunizi; March 23rd, 2006 at 01:03 AM.

Beans

I'll try to be nice here...

Quote Originally Posted by Scunizi
    I new enough at this I really don't have a preferance. However, gThumb & EON don't display multipage tiff images.
    I'm curious as to what exactly does. Does anyone know if the windows image previewer even displays these multi-page tiff files? I'm just curious because that's probably what the accepted standard in this case would be. I don't have a copy of windows myself, so I can't check. I will however, take this opportunity to respond with the following quote from "The Unofficial TIFF Home Page" (search engines are your FRIEND):
    It is very easy to write a TIFF-writer, but very difficult to write a fully TIFF compliant reader.
    Read more from that page to discover why. Now I'm not saying that an image previewer shouldn't read everything you throw at it, I'm just saying that you should expect that some of the more obscure stuff will give you problems. I think you should file a bug report. Now onto the next bit:

Quote Originally Posted by Scunizi
    I have a specific need to open a multipage B&W fax image, delete pages, add text or an image and save for refaxing.
    That is indeed a very specific need. Granted, gThumb has extra features that allow for photo manipulation, but that doesn't make it a fully fledged all purpose handy image editor. Also, suggesting that an image previewer should do as you expressed is waaaaay more than just a stretch.

Search synaptic. Doing that, I found some promising results for 'tiff' right away.
    Last edited by Arktis; March 23rd, 2006 at 02:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I like gthumb.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Arktis,

I've done numerous searches but never ... daah... searched on Tiff. There are quite a few referanced in Synaptic I'll have to go through to see if I can make them work. As to your question about Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, it will load and display color & B&W multipage Tiff files showing one page at a time with some arrow buttons at the bottom for switching pages. It will also allow some editing (re: text imbeding) into the document. On a side note, I got IE6 installed using ies4linux. A manditory program for some sites I use. It runs under Wine. So I thought I'd try one of the Tiff programs I use in windows namely J2 Messenger. When I executed the install file with Wine it returned an error that I needed IE5.5 or better. I guess it just didn't see what I had. What's interesting is that J2 Messenger needs it at all. Looks like it might be making some specific calls to some of explorer's functions.

Beans
    Distro

I've discovered a couple of programs that seem to suggest doing what I'd like. One, ImageMagick, is in Synaptic. After referancing "The Unofficial TIFF Home Page" I also came up with PythonMagick, an API for ImageMagick. Unfortunatly it looks like I'll have to compile it since it's in a tar.gz compressed format without an install script. Just one more thing I haven't tackled yet in my steep learning curve.

Beans

ok, well, i would like eye of gnome. and i used to like gthumb.

in the ubuntu version before breezy, you used to be able to use gthumb to doubleclick an image and it would let you page up and down through all the images in the folder. now after you double click the image in the nautilus folder view, it opens the folder view of gthumb (which is pointless) why do we need 2 folder views? its extra gui stuff we dont need.

ideally for me, there would be NO image editing functions in the viewing application. no folder view mode either, cause thats what nautilus is for.

eye of gnome just needs a page up and page down, that way you can view the whole folder of images without opening every single image from nautilus.

Beans

Ah,maybe this is not the place to ask forhelp, but i think my issue is so trivial that it doesn't even deserves its own thread.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a287/destra5/snap.jpg

I was using gthumb, and i think i screwed the thumbs somehow. It's only in my current user, root doesn't have this problem. There is no detailed manual available in anywhere for gthumb, and i've tried with almost any key combination that came to my mind. To wipe the configurations files didn't solve anything. I'm sorry for my bad english, it's not my primary language. I think i'll try installing that other viewer.

now after you double click the image in the nautilus folder view, it opens the folder view of gthumb (which is pointless) why do we need 2 folder views? its extra gui stuff we dont need.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing. There is no way to make it start viewing inmediately the image selected?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Arktis
    [...]

So, which do you think is better? Should eog be dropped in favor of gThumb?
    neither... I use Kuickshow or Gwenview...
    raising the standard wherever required

Registered Linux User 273897

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by graigsmith
    eye of gnome just needs a page up and page down, that way you can view the whole folder of images without opening every single image from nautilus.
    Get the Backports version of EoG (or Dapper), since 2.13.2 eog supports going to the next image by pressing the previous/next buttons in the toolbar or <ctrl>+<pgup>/<pgdn>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast