Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Request low-bandwidth Distro recommendation

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Request low-bandwidth Distro recommendation

My landlord provides free wireless internet (Yay!) but has it throttled down to ~20kbs (Boo!). What Distro would be best suited to handle the glacial download speeds I suffer with?
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Request low-bandwidth Distro recommendation

your land lord is a jerk. Your looking at lousy dial-up speed. You might as well just go get your own service. Changing distro wont help very much esp if you want to view flash, images, or any other modern web content. There is allways text based interwebs, but do you really want to do that?
    ~Conradin~

Beans

get the five dvd set of debian stable. download them at a buddies house, or order them online. the second set of links, select your architecture.

with those five dvd's, you will the entire debian stable repository.

it looks like those five .iso files were last updated on 31 jan 2010, so presumably the only updates you will have are those pushed since then -- and that should only be security patches, if i understand debian's way of doing things correctly.
    Last edited by earthpigg; April 23rd, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Like what has been previously said, you'd be better ordering a disk with a Linux OS on!

Have a look here for how to order a disk of Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/purchase
    Xbox Live: CHRISSSS 12 | Follow me on twitter

Beans

i'd def suggest debian stable full over ubuntu. every time you want to install a new app with ubuntu, you will need to download the entire package at 20kb/s. with debian stable full, you just pop in a dvd.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.

Beans

As far as system support go, Fedora has differential updates, though not by default. I don't think anything like that has made it to dpkg yet.

You web experience will suck regardless, Distro or operating system will not help. Opera has a proxy service you could look into that compresses images and pages. It is targetted at mobile devices, but might be available for their desktop browser. That might help a bit.

Alternatively, try making friends with somebody who raises pidgeons. Also, say 'Hi' to 1997.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

whats so wrong with 20kb ? and for free

i had 30kb and was fine with it

now i have 60kb, but if i had to go back is not the end of the world

sure you can't distro hop every few days but is not so bad once you get used to.

the DVD repos is good idea, plenty of places sell em

save em bucks till you can afford better
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

+1 to opera - as i recall, their data compression service is also available on the desktop. for free.

regardless of which distro you pick, consider disabling all but security updates.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Thanks for the recommendations. I would buy broadband, but 1) it's not available in many of the places I live (full-time RV) 2) cellular broadband requires Windows to activate/update wireless device (Windows-free since 2006!) and ATT, Verizon & Sprint all refuse to activate their own broadband devices for me.

Debian-stable may indeed be the answer; I can always Ubuntu in VBox. Thanks again.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by MoebusNet View Post
    My landlord provides free wireless internet (Yay!) but has it throttled down to ~20kbs (Boo!). What Distro would be best suited to handle the glacial download speeds I suffer with?
    hack him

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast