Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backintime startup issue

Beans

Re: Backintime startup issue

Not only those but it looks like software center wont work either in that case. I keep ending up finding links to this thread.

Not sure how to approach this but it appears that it's not a problem with backintime per say but a larger problem.

This search is interesting now that we know it's not just one program: ubuntu No module named pygtk
    Now to find one that was solved.

Ahah,
    Code:
    sudo aptitude reinstall python-gobject
    Found it here: http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/sh....php?t=1438507
    Last edited by 2hot6ft2; April 25th, 2010 at 10:04 PM.
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans

working magic... brb
    Last edited by Bridgestone24; April 25th, 2010 at 10:07 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgestone24 View Post
    working magic... brb
    That's some slow magic...lol. Here's another thread with that issue that was solved.
    http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...=916419&page=3
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans

haha. No kidding. I went through and did a complete uninstall of backintime. I reinstalled python-gobject, I get the same error. Nothing that requires pygtk or gtk will run. I even tried running backintime vs backintime-gnome and i get "no module named bz2" which is related to tar files- no idea.

still searching..

%%%%%%%%
    SOLVED: So after all that ridiculousness it was python all along. I went to the link in your last post and rename python to python-broken and backintime worked instantly. That is so ridiculous. Thank you SO much for all the help! that is a weird bug between 9.04 and 9.10, it seems it's happened to a number of people with various programs.

Thank you!!
    Last edited by Bridgestone24; April 25th, 2010 at 10:56 PM.

Beans

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info. on it considering how many things turn up in a google search. If you don't have it customized too much yet perhaps a re-install of ubuntu would be easier. Although I would like to find an answer for it.

What's funny is that you didn't even notice half the apps. didn't work.
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans

There's a program I use to quickly backup home among other things here:
    http://www.quickstart.freeforums.org...d-pics-t2.html

I have been using it for a couple years since it was created by a forum member mdpalow.

That way you can backup home and all your settings and restore them easily.
    After an install it's the first thing I copy to my desktop and install to restore home. Before ever getting on the net. That way all my settings, bookmarks and all are still there.
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgestone24 View Post
    SOLVED: So after all that ridiculousness it was python all along. I went to the link in your last post and rename python to python-broken and backintime worked instantly. That is so ridiculous. Thank you SO much for all the help! that is a weird bug between 9.04 and 9.10, it seems it's happened to a number of people with various programs.

Thank you!!
    Awesome. Glad to hear it. now I know what to look for if I come across it again. And you're welcome.
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans

This machine is a work machine. I work in a research center and do a lot of various atmospheric modeling. This machine is immensely customized between the various modeling programs and such. I don't really do any besides work and all of those programs work well, wasn't until recently that i started messing with the others. My personal machine is a couple year old macbook which is going strong with no problems since day one *knock wood*.

Beans

I see. Not so easy to just re-install then. And all the more reason to want backintime.
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans

exactly- It works great. I see why everyone likes this program, It's super easy to use. I was just thinking the other day what would happen if my system were to crash then i went on a hunt for good backup software.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast