Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus K52 / Asus A52

Beans

Question Re: Asus K52 / Asus A52

It's very strange. I'm using 32bit ubuntu lucid... I doubt that this causes harder battery eating...
    Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Asus K52 / Asus A52

Quote Originally Posted by demetrius2009 View Post
    It's very strange. I'm using 32bit ubuntu lucid... I doubt that this causes harder battery eating...
    Any ideas?
    Wich CPU governor are you using? How does the battery under other distro/OS?

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Asus K52 / Asus A52

Quote Originally Posted by ntomka View Post
    Wich CPU governor are you using? How does the battery under other distro/OS?
    I'm using "Ondemand" as I understand you. Didn't use yet in other OS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well demetrius2009, I have to admit I didn't check myself how long my battery lasts (I just took the word from others). But if you are listening music all the time or have screen brightness very high or make big use of the processor, it's normal it gets bellow three hours of use. Maybe you didn't compare in the exact same conditions (maybe Windows was using powersave), but I don't really know. I will check my battery life accurately and let you know.

After the touchpad solution, I tried gpointing-device-settings, but it didn't work very good to adjust the scroll speed, so I preferred to make a startup script with the options I like. I also prefer 2fingers-tap to be middle click, and 3fingers-tap right click. I also prefer horizontal-edge-scroll better than two-fingers-horizontal scroll. I also set syndaemon there. This is what I used:

synclient TapButton2=2
    synclient TapButton3=3
    synclient VertScrollDelta=20
    synclient HorizScrollDelta=10
    synclient HorizEdgeScroll=1
    syndaemon -i 1 -t -d

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Asus K52 / Asus A52

Quote Originally Posted by jsevi83 View Post
    Well demetrius2009, I have to admit I didn't check myself how long my battery lasts (I just took the word from others). But if you are listening music all the time or have screen brightness very high or make big use of the processor, it's normal it gets bellow three hours of use. Maybe you didn't compare in the exact same conditions (maybe Windows was using powersave), but I don't really know. I will check my battery life accurately and let you know.
    Great solution jsevi83!
    I will test my battery life on different settings on Ubuntu Linux and Windows and post results here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think I found a solution to get the wireless led turned off when Fn + F2 is pressed. It's a very easy solution and you don't need to modify existing files, only to create two new files. Check the instructions on the first post.

I also created two files to get the calculator button working (Fn + KP_Enter), getting the event with "acpi_listen" and assigning an action to it "acpi_fakekey $KEY_CALC". Now it's kind of working: when I press it nothing happens, but when I press another key, gcalctool opens, so I guess it detects the key press but not the release.

Also, when I reboot and press Fn+F2 for the first time nothing happens, but if a press it a second time it works and disables the wireless aswell as its led. It always works except from the first try. Can someone help me with this?

Beans

Hi all! I'm a newish ubuntu convert and I have the k52jr so this thread has helped me alot.
    I guess it's time for me to give a little something back. I'm tinkering with the hotkeys now since the suspend/hibernate problem is out of my league (though ive tried the .34 rc6 kernel it looks promising since it doesn't freeze my system and it returns to the login screen but still doesnt suspend properly).
    Anyway back to the hotkeys... I follwed jsevi83 lead of doing acpi_listen to get the hotkey then creating(tinkering) 2 files in the acpi folders. So far I've managed to fix the hotkeys for calc and toggling the touchpad. here are my "action" files...

for the calc:
    #!/bin/sh
    [ -f /usr/share/acpi-support/power-funcs ] || exit 0

. /usr/share/acpi-support/power-funcs

getXconsole

gcalctool
    and for touchpad toggle (haven't done the elantech thing yet):
    #!/bin/sh
    [ -f /usr/share/acpi-support/power-funcs ] || exit 0

. /usr/share/acpi-support/power-funcs

getXconsole

if xinput list-props "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse" | grep "Device Enabled" | grep 0
    then
    xinput set-prop "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse" "Device Enabled" 1
    else
    xinput set-prop "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse" "Device Enabled" 0
    fi
    P.S. my batery lasts for about 2.5 hrs while watching videos.
    Last edited by thrakdug; May 8th, 2010 at 11:23 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks a lot for your action scripts, two more things solved.. I will try to update the first post tomorrow. I guess now we just have to wait for a newer kernel to solve the suspend issue.

thrakdug, do you know why the wireless hotkey fn+f2 only works from the second time on, but not the first time I press it? Should I change my action file?
    Last edited by jsevi83; May 9th, 2010 at 01:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks for the latest updates! The toucphad scripts are awesome, I really missed it!=D>

I hope there will be permanent solutions in future releases of kernel, because after updates we need to go through the steps again and again...

demetrius2009: When I'm on battery I'm using powersave governor. If your battery can't last about 2-2.5 hours (3-3.5 with gma hd vga), maybe something constantly using your cpu. Try out the program 'top' in terminal, and find out is there something abnormal.
    Last edited by ntomka; May 9th, 2010 at 08:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, I checked it and my battery lasted about 2 hours using ondemand governor and watching some videos, wireless on, etc.

ntomka, what does it mean "(3-3.5 with gma hd vga)"? How do you get 3-3.5hours?

Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast