Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus K52 / Asus A52

Beans

Re: Asus K52 / Asus A52

Quote Originally Posted by jsevi83 View Post
    Ubuntu 11.10 is not stable yet. I am using 11.04 64bit and everything works great. The webcam in skype works as expected with this command:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

If that is not working you could check if the terminal shows any error. Also you can check that lib32v4l-0 is installed.

About the sound: open the sound preferences and select HDMI output in the hardware tab. Then you select 5.1 in totem, vlc, gnome-mplayer, etc. and that's it.
    ok when i type the command in the terminal i get this... which i don't really understand:

/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(<unknown>:2377): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

(<unknown>:2377): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

(<unknown>:2377): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(<unknown>:2377): Gtk-WARNING **: Loading IM context type 'ibus' failed

(<unknown>:2377): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

yes the lib32v4l-0 is installed.

also I was about the vlc that settings does not work and on the xbmc still no sound i get a "Failed to initialize the audio device".

Thanks again for your responses, I also want to say that I use the Skype edition 2.2.0.35 Beta... if that helps, I'll try the 11.10 just to see if things are working better.

Beans

I cannot install the 11.10 it errors and restarts the laptop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is the webcam still upside down when you run skype with this command?

What is the problem with vlc? Did you try with totem? If you want sound through HDMI and 5.1, fist choose HDMI as output in ubuntu's sound preferences. Then in your mediaplayer you should select pulseaudio and 5.1.

Maybe you need to install vlc-plugin-pulse

In vlc audio preferences, choose pulseaudio and activate dolby surround (even if it is automatic).

Beans

Is the webcam still upside down when you run skype with this command?

What is the problem with vlc? Did you try with totem? If you want sound through HDMI and 5.1, fist choose HDMI as output in ubuntu's sound preferences. Then in your mediaplayer you should select pulseaudio and 5.1.

Maybe you need to install vlc-plugin-pulse

In vlc audio preferences, choose pulseaudio and activate dolby surround (even if it is automatic).
    yes its still upside down and the terminal gives me the above errors, also vlc has choppy video wich i cannot fix no matter what option i choose, I installed fedora 15 skype problem is still there, I am really frustrated with this...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Are you using Ubuntu 64bit or 32bit? Do you have an Asus A52 or K52? I'm afraid I don't know how to help you, the solutions suggested work for the rest of us. Does you laptop have an ATI video card? Maybe someone can help you with that, my laptop has an Intel video card and I don't have problems with it.

Beans

Are you using Ubuntu 64bit or 32bit? Do you have an Asus A52 or K52? I'm afraid I don't know how to help you, the solutions suggested work for the rest of us. Does you laptop have an ATI video card? Maybe someone can help you with that, my laptop has an Intel video card and I don't have problems with it.
    Hello again and sorry for the delayed answer but I'm working a crazy amount of hours... so I got an A52J with the following specs:

CPU: i3 350M
    RAM: 4GB
    GPU: ATI 5470 1GB
    HDD: 500GB

Ubuntu distros I've tried are all 64 bit 10.4 10.10 11.04 11.10 and Fedora 15 (wich i guess is irrelevant but it has the same issues)

thanks again for all your answers I really appreciate any help I can get.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mordan View Post
    I cannot install the 11.10 it errors and restarts the laptop.
    hi did you try before with the live-cd? was it working nice?

I`m writing from the 64bit beta2 iso mounted w/grub with wifi connection and all stuff *mic, wbcam, audio etc) seems working fine

the same was with beta 1

Did you find anything in the release notes ?

just to let us know too before install

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thumbs up Re: Asus K52 / Asus A52

I have been working for at least a month on 11.10 with few hardware related problems. A couple special Fn keys don't work but that's about it.
    Pax Vobiscum
    ...mark

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Looks like the Skype webcam uspide down image problem and dead wireless after suspend problems are now back on the scene with 11.10.

Skype upside down video fixed via (terminal commands):
    • sudo mv /usr/bin/skype /usr/bin/skype.real
    • sudo gedit /usr/bin/skype

Enter the following code into the gedit file:
    #!/bin/bash
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype.real

Save the file and close gedit.

Then enter the following command in terminal:
    sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/skype

restart skype

Now you can open skype from everywhere and video will be OK!

As for the suspend problem, I used the following:

ath9k Network Fix (from suspend)
    Solved by creating a custom script inside /etc/pm/sleep.d with the name ath.sh.
    chmod +x

This is the version I use now, other is buggy, hope this helps everyone with an ASUS laptop and use suspend:

#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
    hibernate|suspend)
    nmcli nm sleep true

rmmod ath9k
    ;;
    thaw|resume)
    modprobe ath9k

nmcli nm sleep false
    ;;
    *) exit $NA
    ;;
    esac

Save the file and exit gedit.
    Last edited by rabideau; October 5th, 2011 at 04:48 PM.
    Pax Vobiscum
    ...mark

Beans

I'm just wondering:
    9.10, 10.04, 10.10, 11.04 and finaly 11.10 almost the same probs with the asus k52/52
    skype camera upside down, (with every edition)
    problems with wi-fi (slow down network on 9.10 and 11.10),
    problems with sound, (jack not working 10.04)
    problems with fn keys, (with every edition)
    problems with suspend/hibernate (with every edition)
    and finaly problems with instalation: 11.10...
    sad... do i need to change my laptop or OS? there is the question

Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast