Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus K52 / Asus A52

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Asus K52 / Asus A52

Quote Originally Posted by jsevi83 View Post
    ntomka, what does it mean "(3-3.5 with gma hd vga)"? How do you get 3-3.5hours?
    I've K52JR with ati and guessed dedicated vga need more power than integrated, so it's just a bet. Anyway, I've read around and tests say on slight load the gma hd version can last longer.
    On battery I never watching videos or like that, just using it for work and internet so that's how I get about 3 hours. I think if it well loaded, it performs about or below 2 hours.

Beans

Hey guys, I just recently got a A52JR, with the ATI 5470M. All the above solutions worked beautifully, thanks so much for all the effort. I think I may have a solution for your resolution issues.

All you have to do (iirc) is just set the desired resolution as available in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

An example from the ArchWiki:

Code:
    Section "Screen"
       Identifier     "Screen0"
       Device         "Device0"
       Monitor        "Monitor0"
       DefaultDepth    24
       SubSection     "Display"
           Depth       24      #Color Depth
           Modes      "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"  #Resolution
       EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Let me know how this works out, as I have not tried this, since my default 1366 x 768 is fine for me. This *should* force X11 to set whatever resolution you desire.

More details are ofc available in the ArchWiki link.

I take it suspend still shows no signs of progress?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't have a xorg file and I don't need more resolutions, I was just missing 1024x768 (which I have now).

For the suspend problem I didn't try the new kernel 2.6.34rc7, so I don't know if it's already solved or if we have to wait a bit longer. When there is a fix I will post it here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jsevi83 View Post
    thrakdug, do you know why the wireless hotkey fn+f2 only works from the second time on, but not the first time I press it? Should I change my action file?
    I'm not sure why it does that. Another thing i've noticed is that led won't be switch on/off if the wireless connection is manually enabled/disabled. I read somewhere that a more robust script is needed for that task than the toggle wireless state function in /usr/share/acpi-support/state-funcs (which is similar to what we have so far). I'll keep looking for a solution for that.
    For those who have the ati video card using the proprietary driver, has anyone found a solution to the splash screen issue? I tried the first solution from this: http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...4-140810.shtml The splash screen flickers when i try it, which defeats the purpose of why the devs switched to plymouth in the first place. Is it better then to use the open source drivers? (since it the only issue i have with the ati driver I'll probably stick with it)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I tried kernel 2.6.34rc7. It already includes the patches for the touchpad, so little effort is needed to solve that (check the first post). The problem is that suspend is still not working...

Beans

Guys, BTW
    I checked Battery life in Windows 7
    It lasts 2 hours 30 minutes while surfing inet, listening to the inet radio etc...
    Wireless on, Brightness 50% etc..
    I think that there is everything is OK with power saving functions in Ubuntu

Beans

I followed the instructions for muting the internal speakers when headphones are plugged in, but I've still got audio coming out of both. Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Did you get any error when running "g++ main.cpp -o pinsensed"? Maybe you could repeat the process, just in case the original text (main.cpp) had any copy/paste mistakes.

If that doesn't work I'm afraid I cannot help you any further, as I don't understand the solution itself. I found it here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...043568&page=14

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

jsevi83, you've made some mistake on touchpad solution in the first post! We need to edit the asus-touchpad-switch.sh not the asus-touchpad.sh file, and comment any changes in the asus-touchpad.sh (I commented all line) and then the fn+c will not work bad. At least for me this is working, but still need the xinput set-prop "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad" "Synaptics Tap Action" 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 3 command line.

I managed some notification for the toucpad switching.
    1. sudo aptitude install libnotify-bin
    2. sudo gedit /etc/acpi/asus-touchpad-switch.sh
    3. This is our touchpad switcher sh file. Add
      Code:
      notify-send -i "icon-file" "Touchpad disabled"
      after this
      Code:
      xinput set-prop "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad" "Device Enabled" 0
    4. Add
      Code:
      notify-send -i "icon-file" "Touchpad enabled"
      after this:
      Code:
      xinput set-prop "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad" "Device Enabled" 1
    5. Replace the icon-file in both lines for a full path to an icon file. I have one here, but maybe you can find a better one.

The only problem with this, you can't control the timeout of the notification (you can set it, but it's not working), so if you switch it rapidly, the popups can lasts long on screen. But who switches the touchpad so rapid?

Beans

jsevi83, I've edited my toggle wireless device script to something like this:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # Toggle wireless device on Asus K52 laptops

WLANSTATUS=`cat /sys/class/ieee80211/phy0/rfkill1/state`

test -z $WLANSTATUS && exit 1

if [ $WLANSTATUS = 0 ]; then
    echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/asus_laptop/wlan
    # echo 1 > /sys/class/ieee80211/phy0/rfkill1/state

elif [ $WLANSTATUS = 1 ]; then
    echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/asus_laptop/wlan
    # echo 0 > /sys/class/ieee80211/phy0/rfkill1/state
    fi

exit 0
    I noticed that something (not sure if it's some other daemon or if it's built in the kernel)else toggles the wireless state, but there seems to be some 'lag' to it. I guess the only thing we needed to toggle was the led, and because of the 'lag' i reversed the logic. It seems to work even on the 1st try, though manually switching in the network manager applet still doesn't affect the led state.
    Last edited by thrakdug; May 18th, 2010 at 06:20 AM.

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast