Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kubuntu bootsplash

Beans
    Hidden!

Kubuntu bootsplash

Not sure about the Ubuntu bootsplash, but the Kubuntu one didn't work until yesterday... I haven't updated today to see if it does work now.

Are they purposely waiting or its something they're having difficulty with? Its really close to final release date.

Beans

Re: Kubuntu bootsplash

It works here, perhaps your problem is with plymouth itself. Do you just not get a boot splash?

Beans
    Hidden!

I see no boot splash... I first see a blinking underscore "_", then I see some warningings, followed by a blue bar at bottom left corner, and it jumps to KDE splash screen... thats it...

Beans

Then I think thats just a plymouth problem. When shutting down I see the new Kubuntu logo with all blue.

James78 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

I have the official Ubuntu(KDE) 10.04 64-bit release, and all I see is a blinking underscore too, then it flashes the splash screen for a second and is at the login.. I want to see the Kubuntu splash!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Save problem here. I see the Splash on the last second of the booting process. Before that its the blinking underscore. Could you others having this problem state your screen resolution? I get the splash on live cd but not on installed version!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    Save problem here. I see the Splash on the last second of the booting process. Before that its the blinking underscore. Could you others having this problem state your screen resolution? I get the splash on live cd but not on installed version!
    Update after a week . The issue with plymouth is a known one , I think .

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I allso have this problem, and this is after the final version has been released...
    Anyone have more information, solution, or bugreprot ?

James78 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

For people who want to see the splash screen, here is a fix for you guys.

Type into terminal...
    sudo echo FRAMEBUFFER=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash && sudo update-initramfs -u
    If permission is denied, then simply just create the file, then paste the contents into it.

The problem is that the graphics driver doesn't have enough time to initalize before plymouth can take care of displaying the splash screen, then the system decides to go ahead and startx since it's taking too long. What this does, is introduce a ~0,5 second boot delay, which allows the graphics driver to take hold, and lets plymouth show the splash screen. The boot delay really isn't that bad, I don't even really notice it at all.

Enjoy the fix!
    Last edited by James78; May 6th, 2010 at 05:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by James78 View Post
    For people who want to see the splash screen, here is a fix for you guys.

Type into terminal...

If permission is denied, then simply just create the file, then paste the contents into it.

The problem is that the graphics driver doesn't have enough time to initalize before plymouth can take care of displaying the splash screen, then the system decides to go ahead and startx since it's taking too long. What this does, is introduce a ~0,5 second boot delay, which allows the graphics driver to take hold, and lets plymouth show the splash screen. The boot delay really isn't that bad, I don't even really notice it at all.

Enjoy the fix!
    I believe it is
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    and NOT initramfs -u

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast