Thread: Streaming live tv

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Streaming live tv

So I saw a guy the other day who was converting a live over the air tv channel to video that he was streaming via multicast on his lan network. I'm not sure what I need to look for to recreate this at home and have been searching the net for too long so thought it was time to ask.

Anybody out there know the tools I need to recreate this at home?

I know that I will at least need an external device to capture the over the air digital TV signal and some software to convert it to a video format appropriate for streaming but I dont want a dvr. I don't care about recording the video, or controlling it any way (like pause, rewind, etc.) I just want the capability to capture and stream it. I'm currently using karmic.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Beans

Re: Streaming live tv

Can you let me know please that how we can see the streaming live tv on internet. I don't think so that we can see at free of cost on the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Streaming live tv

Quote Originally Posted by duanemorrison View Post
    Can you let me know please that how we can see the streaming live tv on internet. I don't think so that we can see at free of cost on the internet.
    Well over the air channels are already free, so don't believe that's a big issue.

I finally found out the name of this little box too, HDHomerun. I looked at these before but all I found was overpriced dvr's, but apparently they make a smaller/cheaper 'hd homerun' box that can grab digital over the air channels (which are free). I'm assuming there are many more 'hdhomerun' like boxes out there too. Says it's compatible with mythtv too but i have yet to try it. Link below explains it pretty well. This was from 2007 so I must be way behind the times...

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/reviews/...hd_homerun.php