Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lucid Lynx is due out next week - before you install/upgrade...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lucid Lynx is due out next week - before you install/upgrade...

That's right, BACK UP YOUR FILES.

That is, unless you've decided that you can quite easily live without them.

At the minimum, back up your personal files - documents, music, videos, pictures, emails and stuff.

If you are worried that you might get into a mess with Lucid and will want to reinstall your current system, you can make an image of the complete system.

I do this before doing any major change, and it's saved me from ruination on more than one occasion. It takes me about half an hour to do a restore.

How to do it? There are various methods available. This link gives you plenty of options. No doubt other members will have suggestions as well. I prefer to use archives, but if you have another preference, that choice is yours. The main thing is to DO IT.

Unless you are completely confident that you can't possibly install to the wrong drive or partition, get the backup file(s) right off your computer. A removable drive or even DVDs fits that bill, or a server or another machine if you have access to one. If you want to be really safe, have two copies in different places.

Knowing that you have a good backup available does wonders for the stress levels.

I wish you all stress-free installing and upgrading.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Lucid Lynx is due out next week - before you install/upgrade...

Backups are overrated. There's nothing like the adrenalin surge when you tell the partitioner not to format your 700GB /home and pray it obeys.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tica vun View Post
    Backups are overrated. There's nothing like the adrenalin surge when you tell the partitioner not to format your 700GB /home and pray it obeys.
    If you want to live on the edge, then yes. Me, I'm not that addicted to adrenalin.

It reminds me of an old definition I heard somewhere: A backup is something you promise to do next week and actually get round to doing the day after you've lost your files.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Seperate home partition /home
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

After you back up your files, Read The Release Notes while downloading the iso.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'm not sure how having a separate /home directory helps.
    It helped a lot prior to encryption, but now, when it is encrypted, it will not let you install a new ubuntu without giving major headaches.
    Apparently you can use some how to to mount and decrypt your home directory, but to a simple chap like me, it turned out to be quite a difficult task, and i really hope that ubuntu folks have created an option to do this easily and flawlessly during install process, ie if install detects encrypted home directory, then it asks your for password and does decrypting etc automatically, otherwise, all simple chaps like me will have major depression issues.
    I have learnt the lesson, bought a 1 tb external hd and will copy everything there before upgrading, but what about people who do not have such an option....
    Ta Sokol
    Pain is weakness leaving the body. Paddy

Beans
    Distro

@sn0m
    I have a separate /home partition, not encrypted, and I don't see how that does away with the need for backups.

I don't have the option of an external drive, either. I use DVDs.

I don't know what I'd do if I had 100 GB of videos/photos/music and no money for an external drive, or at least a second internal one. I do know I'd be feeling uncomfortable in that situation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

New hard drive for the win.

I have a 200gb drive empty (Capture) from my old NLE days that I drag home to before installing new drive with newer version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by tica vun View Post
    LMAO
    I might not be Cory Doctorow, but I am still a writer, who uses Linux... and that makes me cool.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Is there a way to back up chrome?
    There is no reality, no truth, only a set of social constructs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast