Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10.4 installation freeze

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: 10.4 installation freeze

I did file a bugreport, not 100% sure if this is what you're experiencing, but worth taking a look at it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/572868
    PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rdingraham View Post
    collinwhipple,

Great. That did it. I held down the shift key. At the Grub menu I pressed e. Then I added acpi=off between "ro" and "quiet" and booted up. This got me into the operating system.

I also tried replacing acpi=off with acpi_os_name="Windows 2001" acpi_osi="Windows 2001" pci=noacpi pci=assign-busses (again between "ro" and "quiet"), but this did not work; it would not boot.

I guess the next step is to edit Grub, and since there is now no menu.lst file, this looks a little more difficult in Grub2, but I will study the link you provided in your last post and try to figure it out.

After that is the whole question of editing the kernel, which looks even more challenging, but I'll take it one step at a time.

At least now I can get into Ubuntu, so I can begin to make further changes.

Thanks.

Bob Ingraham
    Hey Bob, I have the Satellite L505D-S5983 and when I added the 'acpi=off' between the 'ro' and 'quiet' I was able to get to the password screen but the keyboard didn't work to type in the password. Do you have any suggestions or did you run into a similar problem?

Beans

Eric,

No I did not run into that specific problem. What I can tell you is that using acpi=off is only a temporary, partial solution. Others have reported that, under acpi=off, various things don't work right, e.g. touchpad, wireless, etc. Not to mention the possibility of overheating.

Toshiba is likely to do nothing about this problem. The solution is going to have to come from a new, as yet unreleased, linux kernel that fixes the problem. Its clear that this is being worked on, so it may not be too far off.

In the meantime, others have managed to get a mostly functioning system, where you no longer have to turn off acpi, by compiling a custom kernel.

If you are interested in pursuing that, please see the thread "Toshiba L505D ACPI issue with 9.1/9.04" in this forum

Bob

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123